• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using old front wheel studs ok?

spdyracer

NAXJA Forum User
I need longer wheel studs for my dana 44 since i just put disk brakes on it. i was going to replace my front hubs so i was wondering if i could get the old ones pushed out and use those for the back? will these be long enough and is this an ok thing to do?

I wouldn't reuse them.
I have no scientific data, but I'm pretty sure years of normal use as well as pressing them out could distort them enough to make it a questionable idea. They have an important job after all.
I used Napa P/N 6412781 for my disk conversion, about $2.50 each. They're a tad too long with my current wheels, but I use open ended lug nuts, so it works fine.

I need longer wheel studs for my dana 44 since i just put disk brakes on it. i was going to replace my front hubs so i was wondering if i could get the old ones pushed out and use those for the back? will these be long enough and is this an ok thing to do?

Didn't say what type of disc's you're using for the conversion, but for my Crown Vic brake swap I used Dorman 310-368. Perfect length, $20 for 10 at Autozone.

thanks for the help. i just picked up 10 new front cherokee studs hopefully they'll be long enough looks like there about an 1/8" longer maybe just a little more. looks like it will have about 3 more threads than whats on there now. i was worried about getting studs that are too long because i don't have open lug nuts.

Did you check the knurl diameter and make sure it was similar to the factory studs for the 44? Randomly choosing studs can go badly in two different ways, either they will not go in without deforming the hub flange or they will be loose enough that they will start spinning after you get the lug mostly tightened, or while trying to loosen them again. If you get lucky / already checked this, they are very close to the same diameter. Thousandths count when it comes to pressfit parts.

EDIT: oh rear 44... still, check. I seem to recall them being different.

Back