• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tilt cable broken...can this be replaced?

Bjorn86

NAXJA Forum User
99 Sport, 4.0, AW4, 4x4.

My tilt lever had no tension on it, pulled off covers and found that the cable had pulled out of the end attached to the column. How do I replace this cable? I fiddled with the little end that is in the slot where it attaches to the column but cant figure out how to get that little end out of there. There doesn't seem to be enough room to turn it to where it will allow you to remove it upwards through the slot.Surely there is some kind of a trick to this. I'm really hoping I dont have to pull the column to do this.

Anybody have any ideas where to find a replacement cable? Quick search turned up nothing so far.....

mine failed the same way. i couldn't see a way of getting that small piece off the column so i took the easier route. i ended up sliding the plastic sheath off the cable so i could fold it into a loop w/ a zip tie, then used a second zip tie to attach between the cable loop and the column lever (hope that makes sense). been working ok for a few months...hth

yes, i used one zip tie to secure the loop in the cable, then another zip tie thru the cable loop and around the lever on the column that the cable pulled out of. the lever i am talking about is on the steering column where the loose end of the cable was attached. there is a small steel sleeve attached to this lever that the cable is/was crimped in to. i threaded the zip tie around behind it and back out to the loop in the cable.

Got it. Thanks for the help. I called the dealership, they don't even sell one. The parts person said they were going to call Chrysler and see how to go about getting one. I doubt I'll even get a call back...

Back