• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np242-vs-np231

1975Ironhead

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I bought a totaled '98xj for the motor to put into my '00xj. It has a np 242 in it, and it also has the dana 30/ dana 35 combo. My '00 has the np231 and the dana 30/ chrysler8.25 combo. Just wanting opinions on which would be the all around best setup?

There will be a few items that will need addressing when using the '98 engine to replace the '00 engine.
The '00 is distributorless ignition which means using the coil pack (you will need to fabricate a way to fasten the coil pack since '00 head has casting mounts and the '98 head doesn't) and Cam Position Sensor (in place of distributor) from the '00 on the '98 engine, use the '00 alternator on the '98 engine and use the '00 intake manifold on the '98 engine.

Last edited:
4WD is pretty much the same between them so the only real question is if you need the all-wheel-drive feature. You get ice and snow and rain in Tenn, so I would go with the 242. The all-wheel-drive is really nice on pavement.

the important thing is to keep the Chrysler 8.25 rear axle unless ABS is a requirement. So if you want to use the 242 you might have to have a driveshaft shortened. I'd be tempted to run the 242 as it would be awful nice to have an AWD option. (or you could sell it to me if you don't use it...) Theoretically the 231 is stronger than the 242 but I haven't heard of a 242 being the real weak link (but I *have* heard of the D35 as such...)

Back