• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end clicking

InlandZJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well like it says there is a clicking sound when i put it in 4low also now when in park it starts to roll back. I did see the cv boot is torn on both side pass/driver. I was heading up BB when i was on an incline to stop and then it was snowing some and the front wasnt spinning only makeing the sound as mentioned, so lucky for me i turned around to head back home with the clicking sound as i come to a complete stop. Question i have is if the cv-joints are gone why would it not stay parked? Second would anything be busted in the front diff gearing wise? I hit the fwy home and didnt hear it sreaming help so this is the (FIRST) and not the last time i break something 4x4 related.

Rookie post but i see this as a my family site for feed back thanks guys

I'm going to guess that the t-case linkage may need adjusting.

Yes, in theory.

Thanks it was starting to snow good around jenks lake Hwy38 until the school bus was at a complete stop in the middle of the road. :smsoap:My momentum was deflated lol. I was flexing it out yesterday after work could i have done something to cause the linkage to be out of wack? Does this happen often with you all?

If this is your zj with the 249 tcase the viscous coupler in the tcase is shot. Replace it with a 242, the VC itself is well over 400 just for the part and is a well known failure point. First sign of it being shot is the vehicle rolling backwards in park, second is randomly detonating cv units on the front axle shafts because the case is binding up.

Last edited:
It could have. I have heard of the linkage being out of whack from wheeling before.

There I go assuming again, what model & t-case is it?

If its a 249 its not the linkage. Replace the cv shafts with ujoint shafts from an xj while you have it apart.

Oh and the clicking sound is most certainly due to the cv joints seperating.

Yes 93 249 tcase and yes i heard the cv on the driver side click once in a while but now i just pushed it off the edge askin for the OEM parts to tap out. I would like having the option of the 2wd instead of altime on the pavement. Why would chrysler design something like that cheap out or quick build it. :doh:

I have no idea but its a pretty common problem, I've swapped out 4 of them and changed cv shafts over and over. Google 249 tcase and see there are more threads about problems with them than anything else.

Would it be a good idea to disconect the front drive shaft and sport the 2wd maybe less stress on the blown cvs up front. lol Now the cvs dont make asound turning only as im in drive click grind until fwy speed i dont hear it. I guess i just learned my jeeps limits right now :D beef it up and learn again. It was stressful for the wife for a minute stuck sliding side ways i had her in the driver seat and i was manually pushing it with her in the driver seat i had aired down but no cigar front axle was crapping on me.

The vc (viscous coupler) is inside the tcase. You can pull the front shaft and just deal with it making noise but you will need to use the parking brake as it will roll freely in park without the front ds in, and will finish off whatever of the vc is left in the tcase.

I have no idea but its a pretty common problem, I've swapped out 4 of them and changed cv shafts over and over. Google 249 tcase and see there are more threads about problems with them than anything else.

Thank you again wish i was more handy with fixing the hobby i like. Im stuborn to change hobbies for something else other than playin in the dirt

Well on the hunt to find a 242 and ujoint style shafts its been put off and cannot wait any longer. I get to tell the wife i need to buy some jeep parts i better start the honey do's ;)

Back