• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fix or go rebuilt/reman?

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Still haven't figured out the noise in my 4.0 but it's getting worse, coming in sooner, and sure as heck sounds like rod bearings. Loudest at no load and 1500 RPM (revving in neutral.) only 82K miles and I have no explanation for this as vehicle was well maintained but there you have it. I also crawled underneath it today and see that my oil filter adapter is leaking and my valve cover gasket is apparently pouring oil down the bellhousing (less than 200 miles since I had flexplate cover off and it's already coated/dripping.) Those aren't insurmountable problems but do add to the "what next?" factor.

I'm tempted to just suck it up and put a reman engine in here. What say you?

Damn thing runs great though and is all caught up on maintenance/fluid changes, plus I've already done lots of little "upgrades" to it so I'm already invested in vehicle. Rust free and drives nice, so I'm thinking it is worth it.

Alternative would be to just get some standard size rod and mains and drop the pan, install, hope for the best. Are the factory rod/main bolts TTY or reusable?

what say you?

might be worth paying an known-good engine shop to give you some diags and advice, usually they can isolate problems pretty quick

Hah... Around here finding a good mechanic is more difficult than you'd think but finding an incompetent one is easy... If anyone has a recommendation I'm all ears

I don't know if the company is still in business, they might have changed names again, but I have purchased 2 Jeep engines from PowerPro2000 and they were better than factory originals. Came with 5yr 100,000 mile warranties too.

PowerPro used to be called ATK I think. They are basically a front. You get to name your rebuilder/remain from those they do business with. Both of my engines were by Performance Products which is the factory reman center for Mopar (or at least it was prior to bail out). Factory reman centers are barred from selling direct to public, so, there is always a shell company between you and them. I had a trusted mechanic slip the engine in.

I would never buy a Jasper. I know too many people who didn't get even one oil change out of a Jasper.

Back