• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Bronzewyrm Evolution

Bronzewyrm

NAXJA Forum User
Well i figured id get started on the thred, the jep is coming apart tomorow for mockup. and there has been a feiw people interested in what i have in store for for my latemodel.

I researched for a long time befor i started pulling the trigger on parts, as i want this to be one of a 3 step final build on this jeep.
3-link was on the top of the list, i kicked al the options around and this was the best fitting for my applacation/buget. Then i thaught of a Friend of mine parting a jeep.

The Dellstopjeep 3-Link will be going under it. it was built with pure beef! 2.63" Balistic joints, on DOM. with all the brackets (thx dustin:greensmok)
S7300083.jpg

I will be building the factory front axle from the my 92, she will live on too!
S7305434.jpg

S7300080.jpg

i have a set of 4340 cromolly front shafts, inner and outter; and spicer joints i will be putting in this axle. (in the 00 LP axle currently) it will also be stuffed with a Grizzly locker, and nitro 4.56 gear
S7300084.jpg

im going to replace the pass side upper axle link with this 7/8" joint
S7300082.jpg

the front will be finished off by a ruffstuff panhard bar kit, its dom with full hyme joints. ill leave my ZJ steering probably untill closer to winter. it will sit on theese for heigth
S7300086.jpg

For the rear i kicked around all kinds of ideas. until i found a Member in so cal that was willing to ship me an axle he had for sale.
S7300079.jpg

8.25, 4.56 geared, ausi-locked, ruff stuff diff cover, 1k miles on setup.... Plus
S7300081.jpg

Aloy shafts FTW! plus stock spares... he says, eh ill take $300 for it. :shocked::shocked::shocked:! even with shiping i jumped on it.

i could have used the shock hangers that were on it but theee were much more protectivelooking for the shocks.
S7300088.jpg

got this cool thing too, made my springs free shipping. all for 1bill.
S7300087.jpg

ill be useing a dodge 1/2t rear leafspring, on hd relocation brackets (as long as scott dident sell them) and some boomerang shackels i got from eric off the mustache ride. im ordering frame stiffys from ruffstuff tomorow, and the other misc things i need for the final fab on the front axle. and i should be able to start cutting for the rocker replacements by the end of the weekend.

Stay tuned!... and my tire choice will shock you:skull1: shocks will be that last thing i order because im not shure how well it will flex by the time im done with her:eyes:

Last edited:
First off, wanna buy some shackle relocation brackets?

Secondly. Where's the mention of quarter panel guards ya jackazz.

Slacking a bit, bronzey!

so like scott said im a jackazz. ther was a big part i missed. that really did help this cycle kick off.

me and scott were at daves b-day run. lineing up to run some trails. when we had a little rub action...

0924111046.jpg

the zj made it out with little to show for it:guitar:
0924111046a.jpg

after all this. me and scott put our heads together and cooked up a way to make shure there were no hard fellings afterwards. so i got to do this...
S7307533.jpg

First step is to get the paint off of it so you can see what your working with, and so you can tac to the panel(s). a little Uni spotter action. and the Frame rail can come out to do its thing, along with the port-o-power!
S7307534.jpg

S7307535.jpg

more unispoter action. getting it close now :D

S7307539.jpg

and Vwalah! a semmi streight qutar agin.
S7307543.jpg

some filler
S7307546.jpg

A little Iceing to smoth things up.
S7307553.jpg

ready for Primer! scott picked up some sweet guards to cover the remander of the dammage, and to inshure this never happens agin. THANKYOU Scott :wave1:. getting some etch primer.
S7307513.jpg

ill have to find the final intalled pic, or ill get another one today. more to come. im headded to the shopie!

The primer actualy mache very well. alot of people think i collor mached it:pirate1:
S7300013-1.jpg

Wel today started off like any other at the shop.blood blister on the side of the hand, and smacked myself in the fingures with a hammer 1st 5min...

I started bu removing componets from the d30 currently under my jeep.
S7300095.jpg

the cromos,uni-berings, and brakes came out easy.
S7300096.jpg

everytnig went really well untill i got to the stupid uca's:flamemad: im drilling the driver side, i hope the pass side free up tomorow....
S7300101.jpg

Hoover mode is offical
S7300103.jpg

front axle striped and out!
S7300102.jpg

At this point it was time to start mocking up the 3link. it is going to take some serious cutting/welding by the time im done, but i know it will be well worth it:guitar:. so i puled the crossmember, cut the rock light out, and grabed the new dellstop peices.

i first mounted directly in the factory crossmember mounting holes. while talking to eric about the links when i baught them i remember him aying that the arms had actualy pushed the axle in his jeep about 1" forward, at6" of lift. so i figured if anything id be 1-2" forward and have to adjust. at least thats what i was expecting... i grabbed one of the 3" coils i had laying on the ground and threw it in there. with the links conected and weight on the springs i was Way back with the axle. back, weird...
S7300108.jpg

S7300109.jpg

so i thaught for a feiw min. grabed a 4.5: spring out of the box, worse. so i pulled it all apart, droped the crossmember, and moved it one knotch forward on the mounting location. pushing it all forward. slaped the 4.5" coil back in, lower links on and...
S7300113.jpg

Much better. i think it may be close enough to stard some welding soon :smoker:
S7300112.jpg

Well today was a good day.Mock up is all but done. i started the day by pulling the front axle to begon work on the pass side uper link mount.

S7300119.jpg

i dident want to work on the floor, my knees really cant take that anymore so i got crafty,
S7300120.jpg

marked the center points front/back, left/right. started cutting...
S7300121.jpg

S7300122.jpg

S7300123.jpg

S7300124.jpg

I got the chop saw out and cut a peice of DOM for the new mount, ground it a little for a tight fit to the axle tube. i hade some square stock so i made up a gusset real fast. looks good IMO.
S7300125.jpg

S7300130.jpg

S7300131.jpg

now i was ready to put the ale back under the jeep agin...AGIN:sure:... all this axle moving by myself takes a toll... so i slid it back under the jeep, hooked the lowers up, droped the springs into place and jacked it up a little to put preshure on them. i was looking to locate my upper link on the frame side at this point. but as i lifted i knew there would be no way to control the pinion angle. So, i ran home to retreive my monkey, and another stand.
S7300132.jpg

Once i got something under there to control the pinion things went simply. i was able to use the monkey on a stick as a 4th link on the driver side. once in place, i jacked it up to ride heigth. when i saw the stands free up just a smidge, i crawled under and marked the location for my upper link.

Ride heigth +/-
S7300137.jpg

Lower link located. i think my angles look fairly good. but then agin this is my first link build, so fell free to give pointers :thumbup:
S7300141.jpg

S7300142.jpg

The monkey doing its thing :wierd:
S7300145.jpg

After feeling good about my placement on things, i knew. it was time to deal with that axle side mount for the frame. it took me 1.5 hrs, 4 cuttoff wheels, a sledge, and a hand grinder. but in the end i got it cleaned up:D
S7300149.jpg

i wa origonal going to "stuff" my uni-rails on the jeep. but after looking a bit further i realized that will be sooo much of a gamble 1. and hokey rig 2. I decided to give HD some buisness. my stiffeners are on the way ATM.:yelclap:

i have one heim joint to order and 2 brackets to exchange with ruffstuff. and im ready to burn the front end home. ill have to build a custom crossmember D/T the location of the link arms, and i will be doing a belly pan while im down there. things seem to be going good after 3 days of work so i dont mind a feiw extra things adding up. this is the kind of work i can actualy enjoy:D

So much more to come....

Axle end upper link mount looks super cool John.

I wish I could have watched you separate that upper body mount from that "piece of jeep" we give you. I bet that sucked.

Nice, looks like your XJ is coming along well... Freedom edition:worship:.

BTW, is the Navy Jeep, which I think is a JK, owned by a guy named Mel?

Nice, looks like your XJ is coming along well... Freedom edition:worship:.

BTW, is the Navy Jeep, which I think is a JK, owned by a guy named Mel?

thanks man.

yes many of the rigs around the shop are owned my mel. he is my best customer:loveu:

Well i got to it today on the stiffeners, orderd on sunday, arived on friday:yelclap:

S7300155.jpg

as you can see the pass side has got a little "self clerance" going on...

S7300157.jpg

i got part way throo grinding and preping that side to be welded up. when tessa showed up at the shop with a "suprize" she says

S7300161.jpg

this stuff was ordered on tuesday, came in saturday. Dan is the man! thx ruffstuff, the old brackets will be sent off monday :D. i pulled the front axle out agin for the last time now!
S7300162.jpg

welded the correct bracket on for the panhard bar setup.
S7300164.jpg

S7300166.jpg

S7300165.jpg

also burned in the tube adapter while i was there. now it was time to remove that pesky driver side uper axle side mount.
S7300170.jpg

wont be needing this anymore!
S7300168.jpg

the front axle is now ready to be sent off and have the gears/locker installed. rear axle just needs the shock hangers redone. so now im off to tackle the stiffener. im hoping to have the pass side finnished tonight. well see.

ttyl

only one question......

if you are basically installing all new custom brackets, regearing the axle, and basically rebuilding the whole thing. why didnt you just swap a 44 into the front? it would have been the same amount of work and been quite a bit stronger

only one question......

if you are basically installing all new custom brackets, regearing the axle, and basically rebuilding the whole thing. why didnt you just swap a 44 into the front? it would have been the same amount of work and been quite a bit stronger

it really was on my mind. i know "for shure" this rig will see no more than a 33" tire. i won the 4340 aloy shafts at NWfest 2010, then the yukon grizz locker at NWFest 2011. i had the HP laying around from the last jeep build. and i dident have the funds for the clayton axle brackets i wanted anyway. basicly i saved myself some parts tracking work, and a ton of cash. IMO, an inner sleve kit for the front axle and it will have all the strength i need.

it really was on my mind. i know "for shure" this rig will see no more than a 33" tire. i won the 4340 aloy shafts at NWfest 2010, then the yukon grizz locker at NWFest 2011. i had the HP laying around from the last jeep build. and i dident have the funds for the clayton axle brackets i wanted anyway. basicly i saved myself some parts tracking work, and a ton of cash. IMO, an inner sleve kit for the front axle and it will have all the strength i need.

You'll be fine..

Back