• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift or unibody reinforcement first????

coldcdn

NAXJA Forum User
well that kinda says it in a nut shell, I'am a little lost at which to do first. I plan on going with the bds 4.5 long arm lift kit but iam not sure weather i should install that then reinforce the unibody or try it the other way around.

For the unibody i plan on 2x6 rocksliders welded into the rocker, welded rollcage, and ruffstuff chassis reinforcements is this overkill for a mild wheeler?

After going through the bds install instructions online i do believe the extra 3/16 on each rail will mess with the replacement trans crossmember. I dont what to start off by making a weak piont though i suspose i could alter the crossmember a bit to make it work ...

what does everyone think install the lift kit and reinforce around it or plate the unibody the try to make the lift kit work?

why would you have to alter the crossmember? a stock crossmember will work just fine, not sure what one you're running. i guess if your longarm kit uses a special crossmember it may cause difficulties, but i think i would question any company that would design a long arm kit that wouldnt work with frame stiffeners on an xj.
Most people say weld on frame stiffeners before you even look at dirt. i didnt do it that quickly, but i'm doing it now (4 months later). i went with the tnt stiffeners, which are ok except for the fact that i have to drill my own holes for rosette welding.

The lift iam planning on running is the bds 4.5 la kit #468h i belive
jk_468H.jpg

you can see the replacement crossmember at the top, I have not emailed bds yet to see what the say about it. I choose to go with bds since there kit is complete ie everything you need for one price. If anyone has any suggestions for lift kits that work better ect... plz let me know all info will help

i dont see how the frame stiffeners will effect anything with that crossmember.

it looks like the side plates are slotted so that they accomodate stiffeners. Do your stiffeners first for sure. I waited and smashed mine on rocks first and that made it hell now that i decided to do them.

Not sure how much that kit costs, and as much as I think long (or mid) arms are the way to go, have you checked out the dpgoffroad OME/hybrid kits? Not long arms, but something to consider.
Piecing together a lift is another option, which if done right can be had at a lower price.

unibody stiffening first if you are going to do both. It shouldn't interfere with things in any significant way, and it will be better to put the lift on after since any holes you have to drill to install it will be in the right place the first time then. You may have to do minor clearancing with a file or grinder but that's pretty much to be expected when you start by welding things onto the unibody.

well that kinda says it in a nut shell, I'am a little lost at which to do first. I plan on going with the bds 4.5 long arm lift kit but iam not sure weather i should install that then reinforce the unibody or try it the other way around.

For the unibody i plan on 2x6 rocksliders welded into the rocker, welded rollcage, and ruffstuff chassis reinforcements is this overkill for a mild wheeler?

After going through the bds install instructions online i do believe the extra 3/16 on each rail will mess with the replacement trans crossmember. I dont what to start off by making a weak piont though i suspose i could alter the crossmember a bit to make it work ...

what does everyone think install the lift kit and reinforce around it or plate the unibody the try to make the lift kit work?

If you plan on keeping this thing a long time, I'd do the unibody plating first.

Buy the HDOffroad stiffeners for the front and middle.

2x6 sliders are definitely a good idea once you have the stiffeners done.

What tire size do you plan on being at?

Cage isn't necessary, but a good idea if you start hitting harder and harder trails. It will help keep the unibody intact and you from getting hurt.

I think a cage, if you tie it in to the unibody well, will do more to stiffen the vehicle than any of the rest. Adding material thickness doesn't do nearly as much for you as adding structure, triangulation and gusseting.

That said - think honestly about how often you are going to wheel the jeep and how hard you plan to wheel it. No sense spending a ton of $$ on something you don't need / won't use.

If you are going to use it in such a way as to need chassis reinforcement, though, I'd go with a full triangulated cage first, tie it in to the suspension & attach it to the interior (or exterior) sheet metal as best you can & go from there.

You may wish to do your rockers at the same time, so you can integrate those w/ your cage design.

I think a cage, if you tie it in to the unibody well, will do more to stiffen the vehicle than any of the rest. Adding material thickness doesn't do nearly as much for you as adding structure, triangulation and gusseting.

I agree that a cage does more to stiffen.

However I wouldn't weld any rocker supports directly to the stock frame rails. I'd want some kind of plating there.

And "stiffeners" protect the rails when they land on rocks.

1. Stiffeners
2. Rocker replacement
3. Cage triangulated with an X and tied into rocker/rails, seat belt bolts, floor, door handle bolts, hatch bolts, etc.
4. Lift.

That said, if you are eager to hit the trails, then do unibody plating, then lift, and worry bout the other stuff later

If you are going to use it in such a way as to need chassis reinforcement, though, I'd go with a full triangulated cage first, tie it in to the suspension & attach it to the interior (or exterior) sheet metal as best you can & go from there.

I agree that a cage does more to stiffen.

However I wouldn't weld any rocker supports directly to the stock frame rails. I'd want some kind of plating there.

And "stiffeners" protect the rails when they land on rocks.

This^. I am abandoning my current Jeep now because the unibody (along with the body) is too dented, twisted, and kinked for it to be worth me trying to salvage or plate over it. It is all dented and twisted from hitting rocks, or hitting trees. Out of all the damage, I don't think any of it would have been prevented if I had a cage in it.

Stiffiners first before a cage, that way you prevent damage from obstacles, deters the frame rails twisting, and provides a solid mounting point for a cage down the road if you choose so.

Very simply stated. If you want to do a cage the right way, do your stiffeners first. That way the cage has a proper place to mount against a reinforced frame rail. Same goes for rock rails. Why weld these to your stock <sub> frame rail? Reinforce first...weld stuff to it second.

Back