• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gutted Dana 30

Peacefrog53

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so this might be a dumb question, and I know I should replace the damn shaft, BUT I was wondering if I gutted the Dana 30 (carrier, and shafts) but left the driveshaft and pinion obviously attached, could I drive it in 2wd without losing my tires? I destroyed the passenger u joint, so the stub is still there, but its seperated from the rest of the axle shaft. This makes two that I have gone through already, but they are on different sides. So I have two stubs that have busted u joints. Can I leave the stubs in, without the shafts and carrier and live??

Theory says yes.....reality might not agree...

As long as the stubs are in, the nuts are on the stubs, and torqued properly, you should be fine.

So I can't find the other broken stub. Could I just leave the carrier and driver axle shaft in. But have only the stub on the passenger? Worried about binding up the spider gears in the carrier.

The stubs MUST be in the unit bearings with the nuts torqued properly or very, very bad things will happen. Disconnect your driveshaft and remove it from the vehicle. As long as the inner shafts are not connected, the different will not turn, and the spiders will be fine.

With the DS axle shaft in place you'll be spinning those gears, with the PS out you'll be losing oil, I wouldn't do it. If I were in your position I'd press the U-Joint out of the DS shaft and button the stub up to the hub.

With the Drivers Side axle shaft in place you'll be spinning those gears, with the Passenger Side out you'll be losing oil, I wouldn't do it. If I were in your position I'd press the U-Joint out of the AXLE shaft and button the stub up to the hub.

fixed :wave1:

too easy to confuse DS to mean drive shaft.

peace you're a pretty good ways away from me but i have a broken stub shaft it's yours if you want to come get it.

Back