• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to move radiator forward?

ingenio

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,
I installed an e-fan set up last year, clearance between the pulley and the efan is small.
During last weeks I have noticed that the bolts from the pulley where the clutch fan used to be installed are hitting the passenger side efan, but only in high torque situations (like climbing obstacles or when burning rubber - I wish- ) ...I guess the engine supports are worn ( installed them 2 yrs ago -rubber-).

Wondering what is required to move the radiator 1in forward?...just to make new holes in the lower & upper radiator support brackets so the radiator posts ( 2 lowers and 2 uppers) can be inserted in the new position?.....will I need to trim some areas?

anyone made this mod before that can enlight me?

thanks

Are you still using the stock studs for the pulley, or bolts?

when fan clutch was removed I installed hex socket round head bolts...lower profile than hex heads. I didn't remove the belt pulley in order to avoid me belt new routing issues.

How much vibration is transmitted by those high performance supports when compared to the genuine Mopar supports?..I would like to keep the engine vibrations as isolated as possible.

Get the poly motor mounts and tranny mount. Vibration isn't that bad, and will hold your motor solid where it's supposed to be. Easier and more "duh" that hacking up a bunch of stuff to move the radiator forward a half an inch or whatever.

I have M.O.R.E. rubber engine mounts several years now. I do feel plenty of vibrations at idle and low speed. At about 1200 RPM the vibration is completely gone. I am happy I did not get poly mounts. I would have kicked myself in the nuts (at least try to) every time I drive the XJ. If vibratio is a concern to you, do not use poly mounts.

At one time I considered moving the radiator forward then dropped the idea until I research it more. In addition to the mounting holes that need to be relocated, the hoses to the condensor for the air con will have to be considered as well a re-engineering the top radiator mount to allow space for the filler neck on the closed cooling syetem XJ radiator and anything else that may show up in the process. I am not saying it cannot be done. I put it on the back burner behind the to-do list which now have 70+ items not in order of prioroty.

Maybe move the radiator to in front of the A/C condensor, instead of behind it?

The bottoms easy, 2 new holes to drill...but the top... no so much.

What if you slanted it, forward at the bottom? should give you 1/3 to 1/2 the distance you offset your new bottom holes forward.

I dont care if oem mounts are just that... Its still a terrible design thats IMHO, designed to bring customers into the dealership for repairs. I also run the M.O.R.E.'s, very happy with them.

I have Brown Dog poly mounts, and at first it was very noticeable, but either they got broken in or I got used to it cause I don't notice it anymore.

I'll vote for Brown Dog rubber

If you have 1" of room between the fan and pulley bolts and it is some how hitting, you may have another problem someplace. Check the engine and transmission mounts.

Back