• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Ideas?

sixty7ss

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at replacing the exhaust on my 2000 XJ. I may be interested in long tube headers, but I'm definitely interested in a cat-back system. What are your recommendations? I'm not looking to spend a whole lot, but I want a decent system. I don't want anything ridiculously loud. My brother just put a Magnaflow system on his Jeep and it's way too loud.

If I do decide to go with long tubes, what would you recommend there?

Also, if I do a cold air intake at the same time, is it necessary to tune the PCM?

Thanks, in advance.

Dave

stock...

what exactly is it you want out of a new exhaust? unless youve got other mods to support greater air flow, your dumping money into your exhaust for negligible gain. if you just want a different note, get a glass pack or super 44 or something.

also, make sure to check with your states DMV for legalities.

i dont mean for that to come off condecending... i just mean your going to get the best performance out of a stock, or close to stock, exhaust system. unless you have some other reason for redoing it other than money to burn.

PS - youll probably get more replies in the street forum.

There's not much to be improved on from the stock tubing. It's already mandrel bent and of sufficient diameter to support any and all bolt-ons. The only thing that you can change to improve the stock pipes is to remove the "crush" if yours even has one.

So basically, what you're wanting is a set of better flowing headers, and a better flowing muffler. Best bang for the buck is to throw on a set of headers of your choice (to my knowledge nobody makes "long tubes" for the 4.0 but there are several other manufacturers of aftermarket performance headers available), keep the stock pipes, cut out the old muffler and replace it with a better flowing one.

Finding a performance muffler that is quiet enough for ya might be a bit of a challenge though. Maybe give the new Dynomax VT a try.

vt_lg.jpg

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt

I've been considering a set of these for my DD. Waiting for someone to be my guinea pig! :D

i just redid my exhaust with some cheapo header off ebay. i think i have under $300 into the whole thing.

i got a new stock down pipe and cut a section out and put a section of flex pipe in, then a new cat and a magnaflow muffler

i got all the parts (minus the header) from performance curve it sounds decent and not dreadfully loud. oh yeah i just have a turn down after the muffler

Your 2000 won't have that crushed section like the older XJ's. it was there to make the exhaust clear the front pinion on the HP axles. The worst part on the stock exhaust is the factory muffler (on the 00-01s). It is extremely restrictive. I swapped a Flow Master on mine, and while it was just border line annoying it woke it up considerably. Current my 99 has no exhaust from the CAT back. I've got to wear ear plugs just to drive it!

There's not much to be improved on from the stock tubing. It's already mandrel bent and of sufficient diameter to support any and all bolt-ons. The only thing that you can change to improve the stock pipes is to remove the "crush" if yours even has one.

So basically, what you're wanting is a set of better flowing headers, and a better flowing muffler. Best bang for the buck is to throw on a set of headers of your choice (to my knowledge nobody makes "long tubes" for the 4.0 but there are several other manufacturers of aftermarket performance headers available), keep the stock pipes, cut out the old muffler and replace it with a better flowing one.

Finding a performance muffler that is quiet enough for ya might be a bit of a challenge though. Maybe give the new Dynomax VT a try.

vt_lg.jpg

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt

I've been considering a set of these for my DD. Waiting for someone to be my guinea pig! :D
after a few months i see that stupid valve being useless, with that being said i had a dynomax straght through on my 98, worst muffler ever, sounded like shit droned and was extremly loud

Care to clarify about the valve?

I've had a Dynomax muffler before as well and it was indeed loud, but I think that about any straight through muffler is going to be pretty loud.

I put a thrush muffler on mine that I got from summit. It isn't too loud. Maybe borderline but no where near the flow master.

after a few months i see that stupid valve being useless, with that being said i had a dynomax straght through on my 98, worst muffler ever, sounded like shit droned and was extremly loud
That was my first impression too. I can picture that little spring going thru some heating/cooling cycles, losing it's temper and that valve flopping in the breeze.

my dynomax cat back was great on my old jeep, and my stepdad runs the same setup on his 96. i dont think its loud at all, or droned at all. a barely noticeable extra burble at idle and you can tell a difference at WOT, thats it. the jeep catback setup isnt a straight-though muffler though, which is why its quieter. keep your cat in place and tailpipe stock size (2.25?) and it wont drone.

That was my first impression too. I can picture that little spring going thru some heating/cooling cycles, losing it's temper and that valve flopping in the breeze.

Mufflers don't get nearly hot enough to change the temper of the metal. I'd be more worried about oxidation seizing up the valve mechanism over time. I'm a little hesitant about moving parts in a muffler - which is why I want someone else to try it before I buy a set. But then again, OEM manufacturers have been doing it for a while without issues as far as I know. I think it might just boil down to the materials used.

I've been running a dynomax muffler on my rig for about a year now. I wanted a muffler that was a little louder than stock, but not as noticeable as a flowmaster 40 series. The dynomax muffler has fit the bill so far and has added a noticeable gain in hp compared to the stock muffler. Not sure if it's still offered, but I received a $75 rebate when I bought mine a year ago which made it any even better deal.

Dymoax is gonna be your best bet if you want quiet....I don't comprehend that so this is hard for me to say. Magnaflow might be a good idea if you get a longer muffler....

40 series flowmaster, then put Boggers on your Jeep and you won't even notice the loud exhaust.

I see the same thing with the VT muffler. Between carbon build up and rust I see that valve sticking.

I have a Dynomax on the ZJ, its ok. Its not loud at all. I have a Gibson on the XJ. Its louder, but not terrible loud. It sounds okay, not great. I would go with a Magnoflow muffler. Best I have heard on 4.0L

are you guys using cat-back "systems" or just reusing the stock tailpipe with a new muffler? Really, just from a visual inspection perspective, the tailpipe looks fine to me and I would think that the biggest restrictions would be the header/headpipe and muffler, in that order. Don't know if it actually works out that way in real life or not...

Wow... Thanks for all the replies.

As for why I'm doing it, I'm replacing the whole cat-back because somehow the center section got a droop in it and it's starting to rust out. I just want to replace the whole thing. I'm looking for suggestions as to which is a good muffler and what not. I appreciate all the input.

It looks like I'll either be going with a DynoMax, MagnaFlow, or Gibson. Nothing fancy. I will also be putting an AirAid cold air intake on it soon.

Back