• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee 44

Thehowler

NAXJA Forum User
Hello All,
I just recently purchased a 1994 Cherokee sport with the 4.0, ax15 4x4 with just 104,000 miles. Just Ran across a add in Craigslist for a Dana 44 out of a 1989 Cherokee. Is this indeed a true bolt in and go unit? Same everything. I've read it is,just have not personally confirmed.
Greg.

Pretty much, yes it is bolt on. The drive shaft length varies because the pinion nose length varies, so you may have to lengthen or shorten a drive shaft for an axle swap.

Stock drive shaft length:

29 spline 8.25 .... 27 7/8"
97 + D35 ........... 28 7/8"
1987 D44 .......... 29 5/8"

Drive shaft length measured from the center of each u-joint on the tube part of the drive shaft for 4.0L with AW-4 and NP231.

yes except for the driveshaft and possibly gearing. you may already know this, but manual trans xj's have 3.07 gears where autos typically have 3.55's. you may already know this or have different gearing already, but i figured it was worth mentioning. also, i think 87 was the only year of the d44 in the xj.

It was my understanding they dropped these axles into Cherokees on certain tow package models to 1990. Yes, I have a spare Dana 30 ring and pinion to match the new 3:54 gearing.

with an 8.25 iirc it is darn near bolt in. Like, within a quarter of an inch. You'll need new U-bolts, but the driveshaft length is very very close.

Remember when using those driveshaft measurements that 95 and earlier vs 96 and later tcase output shaft changes resulted in a several inch length difference even when everything else in the drivetrain is held constant. i.e. a shaft for a 4.0/ax15/np231/c8.25 95 is several inches longer than a shaft for a 4.0/ax15/np231/c8.25 96.

Back