• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Kids?

mako my day

NAXJA Forum User
I am attempting to join you guys on this trip with my first XJ. I will be taking my two sons ages 7 and 5.
Is this normal? Or is the trip mainly for adults?

We camp/fish/hunt 20 times a year, so they are not new to the dirt.

My only concern will be the reliability of this old xj I picked up.

socal fest has and always will be kid friendly. language used in their presence has been the only issue in the past (for me anyway)

i gotta imagine evening drinking and f bombs will be the only issue. if you break down, there's a pretty good crew, you wont be left stranded. just make sure you fix anything on your rig that's broken that you're aware of. obviously don't show up with u joints holding on by a thread or anything like that.

Nothing is broken that I am aware of. I am having some leaks fixed this weekend, and a tune up. I think the rear diff makes noise as well. She runs a bit rough.

Then sliders, cb, cd player, high lift install, recovery hooks, lights, maybe a beefy bumper and winch. I also need to stock up on necessary tools, and recovery/survival supplies.

i gotta imagine evening drinking and f bombs will be the only issue. if you break down, there's a pretty good crew, you wont be left stranded. just make sure you fix anything on your rig that's broken that you're aware of. obviously don't show up with u joints holding on by a thread or anything like that.

Hmm, may want to get the tow hooks before the run. Nothing worse than having to pull someone out by the axle housing or swaybar

I've not seen any baby goats at these events.. Oh, you mean children. Gotcha. ha

language used in their presence has been the only issue in the past (for me anyway)

Well then you should watch your effing mouth!

Nothing is broken that I am aware of. I am having some leaks fixed this weekend, and a tune up. I think the rear diff makes noise as well. She runs a bit rough.

Then sliders, cb, cd player, high lift install, recovery hooks, lights, maybe a beefy bumper and winch. I also need to stock up on necessary tools, and recovery/survival supplies.

Tow hooks are mandatory up front (with real tow hook brackets, not bolted to the stock three hole bumper brackets). For the rear you can use a receiver. As for it running rough come on out, you wouldn't be the first person to come to an event and leave with a Jeep that runs a whole lot better!

I'll have my three year old son with me.

Kids are great, just don't tie them to Carol's dog Eddie....
Oh, c'mon, Kids love doing the "airplane" when mom or dad spins 'em around... why not have Eddie do it?

All efforts will be made to ensure this is a family friendly event but language might be a bit edgy at times. I will have my 7 year old there.
Is he more social and a less picky eater now? Just curious (=

Well then you should watch your effing mouth!

Tow hooks are mandatory up front (with real tow hook brackets, not bolted to the stock three hole bumper brackets). For the rear you can use a receiver. As for it running rough come on out, you wouldn't be the first person to come to an event and leave with a Jeep that runs a whole lot better!

I'll have my three year old son with me.
what about a front reciever instead of tow hooks? both my bumpers have 2" recievers built in, but nothing else. I do have hooks that go into the recievers though.
eventually i will put in some d hooks on all 4 corners, i just dont know if it will happen before socalfest. i have a TON of stuff to do to just get it going so i can be there.

what about a front reciever instead of tow hooks? both my bumpers have 2" recievers built in, but nothing else. I do have hooks that go into the recievers though.
eventually i will put in some d hooks on all 4 corners, i just dont know if it will happen before socalfest. i have a TON of stuff to do to just get it going so i can be there.

The key to receivers as recovery points is that they are properly mounted. I would not trust a receiver on either end that is only bolted to the OEM bumper mounts. The rear should include tie ins to the "frame" rail (typically via the OEM nut strips) and the front should include the tie in the to rear most hole in the frame. See this photo of the OEM to hook brackets, proper bumper brackets should meet or exceed these (personally I like them to include the sway bar bolts as well).

20060408-oemtowhooks.jpg

The key to receivers as recovery points is that they are properly mounted. I would not trust a receiver on either end that is only bolted to the OEM bumper mounts. The rear should include tie ins to the "frame" rail (typically via the OEM nut strips) and the front should include the tie in the to rear most hole in the frame. See this photo of the OEM to hook brackets, proper bumper brackets should meet or exceed these (personally I like them to include the sway bar bolts as well).

20060408-oemtowhooks.jpg
ah, yea, my bumpers are attached pretty solid, so i'm fine there. wasnt worried about attachment, i was just wondering if there was something else i was missing. i know sometimes having a recovery point on a corner instead of the middle is kind of nice, but i didnt think it was important enough to be deemed as mandatory. that's why i asked.

Back