• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? Mastercraft Baja RS seat question

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone mounted one of these in a late model Cherokee? I've got an '01 XJ 4-dr and looking to upgrade my drivers seat. I've had fixed position Suspension seats (non-MC) mounted in my old '96 for a while and although they're nice, I'd prefer a reclining option.

Looks like price wise I'm looking $520 (give or take) and then the mounting bracket. I was wandering if this bracket was a bolt in, no modification necessary type part or will it require modification?

This is NOT a debate between mounting other Jeep seats in my rig, just me interested in the Mastercraft Baja RS. I've had past experience w/ Corbeau and the seat material was very very cheaply made. Almost like a T-shirt type material so that doesn't interest me. Also had a nice set of Cobra Rally seats in my Mustang Cobra and although those are nice seats, they are not the style I want in my DD XJ. It looks like the 2 that most interest me are the Mastercraft Baja RS or the Smittybilt XRC Performance seat. Leaning towards the MC at this point.

Any pics, articles, links, etc would be greatly appreciated. I just wish there was a local installing anywhere in the Tulsa area who had some MC Baja RS seats I could actually sit in to see how they feel on the backside.

I have a Mastercraft Baja RS drivers seat that I got off of Craigslist new for $200. I first installed it in my 98 XJ. I purchased the Mastercraft bracket, which was basically a piece of flat steel with holes in it. You could probably make one yourself for a lot less money.

I now have the seat in my MJ, which required a piece of angle iron and a welder.

BTW, the seat is very comfortable. :

You don't have any pics of it mounted in your MJ by chance? Or of it when it was mounted in your '98? I'd love to see some pics... and I'll be hitting up Craigslist to see if I can get a good score like that.

I had the driver seat with lumbar support in my 2001 XJ. I'll have to search for pics of when it was installed.

The brackets are flat pieces of 3/8" steel i think and you could make it easily. I sold the seat for something like 200 bucks to someone in southern california.

I sold it mainly b/c it didn't match, and secondly the support around where your thigh would be was raised up (to hold you more firmly). But this made getting in and out of the lifted rig harder for me and I didn't like it.

I have a set in my jeep. Wish I saved my money and I didn’t even spend that much... $150 with custom mounts and brackets for my 98. They are ok on the comfort level. Mom and girlfriend say they are too hard, they are supposed to be grey but they have faded to a purple color. The reclining feature is obviously from china as it doesn’t hold tight all the time.

Better seats next time I guess.

Update:

Got the seats and mounting brackets today. Only thing I had to do was remove a couple "O" spacers f/the OE brackets since the MC brackets for the Cherokee already had them welded in. Not too bad once I decided to break out my air-chisel... :) Mounted the brackets to the OE seat brackets and then to the Mastercraft seat. Much easier than I thought I would be and the install was really clean.

These sit a bit higher than the OE seats do, but they feel great so far. Only had about 15 minutes of seat time in them so far, but feels great and they match pretty well too.

Here's a few pics mounted in the '01 XJ.

MastercraftBajaRS.jpg

MastercraftBajaRS2.jpg

MastercraftBajaRS4.jpg

MastercraftBajaRS3.jpg

MastercraftBajaRS5.jpg

Back