• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

H & T Install...check my measurements (with pictures and bad photobucket drawings)

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
H & T Install...check my measurements (with pictures and bad photobucket drawings)

Fixin to install a Dirtbound Offroad H & T in the morning. I will be using an XJ front drive shaft mated to the flange adapter that mounts to the Ford 8.8.

The yoke end (whatever you call it) they sent had 3 1/4 inches of splines inside it. The output shaft has 3 1/4 inches of splines as well. Which fits the yoke end perfectly, but the drive shaft won't fit in there. So, I aim to cut off 7/8 inch of the output shaft so that the 3 1/4 inch yoke end sits almost flush against the t-case.

Sound about right?

IMG_0097-1.jpg

And, as long as I am asking questions, what kind of leak would be keeping my t-case moist here?

IMG_0096-1.jpg

Re: H & T Install...check my measurements (with pictures and bad photobucket drawings

You should have at least 1.5" of spline engagement between the yoke and the shaft. If you get that, your measurements are fine.

Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like a leak from the speedo gear o-ring. Simple fix.

Re: H & T Install...check my measurements (with pictures and bad photobucket drawings

why leave it so long?

aside from adding a double cardan joint, the other advantage 9and reason why the SYE eliminates vibes) is because your able to use a longer shaft, reducing the angles at the pinion and Tcase. my RE H&T only had 1.25" of splines on the flange (theirs uses a flange and Ujoint adapter with new centering ball, not just a yoke), so i cut my shaft down as short as i could, leaving only 1.25" (plus a negligible amount).

unless your H&T is a yoke style and interferes with the Tcase, id cut that output shaft down a lot further.

just read that you have the dirtbound kit... id cut the splined part of the yoke down to about 1.5" and leave that amount on the output shaft. shorter is better.

Did you measure from the pinion to make sure the driveshaft will fit, and have room to compress? I just did mine and with minimum spline engagement the stock driveshaft was too long, so I moved the rear axle back 1.5" (leaf pin to the forward square hole on the perch) to avoid having to shorten the driveshaft.

just read that you have the dirtbound kit... id cut the splined part of the yoke down to about 1.5" and leave that amount on the output shaft. shorter is better.

I ended up cutting it off at 2 inches of spline showing.

Did you measure from the pinion to make sure the driveshaft will fit, and have room to compress?

Nope, I didn't. I have the 8.8, so I have a flange adapter so I couldn't measure the way it was suggested on the instructions. I did check the length though, and it will be fine.

Back