• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

distributor squeaking

CaliXJ

NAXJA Forum User
91 sport I6 Np231 125K

Ok so i have what sounds like a baby seal in my distributor. I thought maybe it was the cap and rotor so i replaced them and it has come back. The sound doesn't happen all the time or for very long. I have read the threads about this and have gathered that it could be one of the bushings in the shaft. I have also read that it could turn into a big mess in a hurry to by siezing the bushing and breaking the hold down bolt and ripping all the wires off as it spins the speed of the cam. Or tearing up the distrib cam gear and distroying the motor. Both a headache.

My question here is what is a good replacement? Really don't want a JY swap because of this might coming back again sooner that i'd like. Is there a upgrade one out there that would be good for a motor that is completly stock?

I did find this one. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/A...|1991|Make|JEEP|Model|CHEROKEE|Submodel|SPORT

I replaced the ones in my 96 and the wife,s 98 with OEM Chrysler parts,but I was getting a good discount from the dealer.
Replaced the one in the 87 with a re-man from Autozone= all are working fine.

I replaced the ones in my 96 and the wife,s 98 with OEM Chrysler parts,but I was getting a good discount from the dealer.
Replaced the one in the 87 with a re-man from Autozone= all are working fine.

Cardone line is carried by AZ and Advanced,maybe even NAPA

It would be worth pulling the distributor and checking it. My kids XJ had the same thing, so I replaced the distributor. When I got around to pulling the old one apart ( just drive out the gear roll pin and separate everything), all it needed was to be buffed with a little 600 grit sandpaper on the shaft, cleaned up and re-greased. Works like a top, no noise.:)

X2 on tigmeister's suggestion. You're going to have to pull it either way, so set it up for easy re-indexing, pull it and take it apart. It's very easy to get apart - roll pin on the gear, be careful not to lose any parts. My 99 squeaked and I took it out, found that it had just begun galling a bit, so I cleaned it up and regreased it. It's been fine since. Even if it doesn't last another 250 thousand miles it's probably good for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for all the input here guys. I ended up ordering a NEW one from Kragen. Had it by the end of the day and installed last night. I will pull apart my old one for a refurb in case someone needs one real quick to get them off the road or something. I can't believe how hard this one is to turn compaired to the new one. WOW!! There is no wonder it was making noise.

Thanks again!

Back