• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep won't start

DELTAOLAN

NAXJA Forum User
I recently got a 95 Cherokee from a family friend. I was told It needed a battery and fuel pump. Also the jeep sat for 3 years. today I replaced the battery, fuel pump, fuel filter and the serpentine belt. when I tried to start her up she did not. Things I have noticed:
even tho I put 5 gallons of new gas in the tank it is still on E with he light on.
I made a mark on the serpentine belt and it did not move.
I took one of the fuel lines off and turned her over and no fuel came out.
Pulled a spark plug and it looked fine.

I'm at a loss so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks for your help.

Does it crank and turn over the engine?

I made a mark on the serpentine belt and it did not move.

No fuel, no crank, sounds like a bad ignition switch, or battery cables.

how can I test to to find out witch one?

Check with a helper to see if the starter is getting a signal on the solenoid while trying to start it. If it does then you know the ignition switch is good. As fir the cables Id bet sitting for a few years has left them somewhat corroded. Take the connections off of everything (starter, batter terminals, grounds, power distribution box) clean them up and slap em back on.

Also if it sat for a few years make sure you change the oil and everything, and before the first start unplug the coil and crank it for like 15 seconds to get all the oil back up to the top of the motor.

Check with a helper to see if the starter is getting a signal on the solenoid while trying to start it. If it does then you know the ignition switch is good. As fir the cables Id bet sitting for a few years has left them somewhat corroded. Take the connections off of everything (starter, batter terminals, grounds, power distribution box) clean them up and slap em back on.

Also if it sat for a few years make sure you change the oil and everything, and before the first start unplug the coil and crank it for like 15 seconds to get all the oil back up to the top of the motor.

thanks for the info

So here is an update after looking in to the not cranking issue I nodiced that indeed the main crank pulley was moving just slipping on the belt,fixed that issue, and that the starter is good. Today I took some starter fluid and sprayed it into the intake, and she started right up for a few seconds. Now I know its a fuel issue, but having replaced the fuel pump I dont know what else to check. tomorrow I am going to check the ground for the pump and to see if its getting power. my question is, what else should I check to see why I'm getting no fuel. thanks for all the help - sam

Look on the fuel rail across the intake manifold for a schrader valve.. Push it in to see if there is pressure in the fuel rail. If there is pressure, the fuel pump is working. If the fuel pump is working i would guess the injectors could be plugged after sitting for 3 yrs

Fuel pump needs power, so check for voltage at the fuel pump. It should prime for a few seconds in the run position and shut off.

IIRC the 95 still had the fuel pressure regulator on the front of the fuel rail, with a vacuum line attached. It could be bad. Borrow a fuel pressure gauge and attached it to the schrader valve and look for 30-39 PSI.

Back