• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 cherokee tranny problem

joehopkins1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 Cherokee Pioneer that has the AW4 tranny in it(175,000 on her).I don't get to drive it much.She sat for almost 6 months and when i went to take her for a ride thats when i noticed the tranny was shifting weird,it would do fine through 1,2 it was just 3 and od it would have the problem.I thaught it could be the fluid so i drained it and added new.Now it won't shift out of first even if i manaully shift it.Can't even feel it shifting when i go thru 1,2,3,D.Any help would be greatly app.:helpme:

Have you removed the TCU fuse, or TCU connector and tried to drive it in 1-2, 3 and D, shifting manually?

I would check the TCU side of the TPS on the throttle body, and the ground on that side, and the solenoids and wiring to the AW4.

I would also drain some fluid and add a pint of Trans-x, and drive it some, to see if some varnish got stuck in the valve body valves that might come loose with the Trans-X in it.

Did you use Dex-III only fluid????

Back