• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 transmission issues

MrMrsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. I need some help diagnosing a problem with the AW4 auto in my '95 Cherokee.

I fired the Jeep up to head in to town this morning. From the beginning it seemed the trans was sluggish when shifting as if it were low on fluid. This became more pronounced the closer I got to town, about 6 miles of driving. Just as I was nearing the parts store I had to stop for a traffic light. In order to just get the Jeep moving I had to keep the throttle floored and then there was no power from the trans. I was lucky to coast to the side of the road and get out of traffic but could go no farther. A friend came and towed me to his shop where we checked it over. The fluid was up and not burned but we didn't have time to drop the pan. Also, if the Jeep sits for a short time and is started again the trans will go into gear and move the Jeep around. This only last for a short time and then the trans quits again. This trans is in my '95 Cherokee with 126,000 miles and only about 1,500 miles since the fluid was last changed.

Has anyone had any experience with this issue? Thanks for your help.

Re: AW4 transimission issues

Did you use Dex III only fluid?

X2, on trying 1-2 manually. If that works, it is an electric problem, controls, sensor....

How old is the fluid? Some times draining 3 quarts and refilling will get it going again.

After i change my fluid my trans started doing the same thing real slow shifting some times took for ever to shift. i just took it easy for a while and it seemed to get better but after 3000 mile it blow up. oh well:bs: some times trans dont like to have it fluid change i guess

I have no gears at all. Fluid was low and I filled it and still nothing. When I let it sit for about an hour it would shift through the gear and run fine for a short while and the... nothing. From there I drained the pan and the fluid looked and smelled clean though the filter was filthy to the point of being clogged. I then bolted the pan back up and let it sit over night. When I checked the pan the next day the fluid that continued to drain was dirty and smelled burnt. I checked the solenoids in the trans and they checked out fine. I decided I would put in a new filter and fill the trans with fluid and see what happened. I started the Jeep up and it shifted through all the gears just fine. When I hit the road it only made it maybe a mile before I lost all power again. Next I plan to drain the pan and check the filter. After this I will unplug the TCU and see what happens. I think all the crud in the filter is clutch material and the trans needs to be rebuilt. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If that is true, a clogged filter filled with clutch material, then it sounds like it needs rebuilding.

Sounds to me like it needs rebuilding or replacing... I would stuff a used transmission (they are usually 100-300 at most, I have bought a few for 50-75 dollars and a friend of mine ended up giving some away) in it so you can drive it around while rebuilding the original.

Changing transmission fluid is fine as long as you do it right, the real problem is that most people neglect their transmission fluid until the transmission is on its last legs, then try and fix it by changing the fluid, but it's too late and it dies anyways. Voila, new transmission fluid killed it! It's kinda like saying the EMTs killed someone by giving them CPR or using a defibrillator... it does happen but usually it's not what actually killed them.

Ya, I've been looking for some used transmissions, but the ones here in Moab are few and far between. The ones that are around are in rigs that are so hammered that I wouldn't trust them to get out of my driveway. I am going to keep looking though.

I wasn't saying that the new fluid killed the trans. I was just hoping that by changing the filter and topping off the fluid may fix it, however slim the chance. The fluid that came out only had maybe 1,500 miles on it.

yeah, I hear ya on that one. I was mostly responding to classicherokee88 when I said that.

You may want to take a look at this site: http://members.fortunecity.com/90limited/

If after going through that you don't determine the source of your problem, I would unplug your TCM and try shifting through all your gears manually see if you have the same problem? If you have the same issue after disconnecting your TCM, you know it's a mechanical problem. Low-burnt-wrong fluid, clutch packs worn and/or crystallized, torque converter on its way out, valve body gummed up, throttle cable needs to be adjusted.

If you find it's a mechanical issue and the problems began after you changed your fluid, I would start there. If you didn't use Dex III, that could be your problem. Also, if your torque converter is not locking you can burn your fluid very quickly. If it's not directly related to your fluid, your changing of the fluid could have taken out clutch material suspended in your fluid, previously allowing your clutches to engage your steels. If that's the case you will most likely need to rebuild with all new clutch packs......I did read somewhere of an additive called LubeGard that has helped in similar cases in the past (never used it myself and not a big advocate for using additives but when your looking at installing another transmission it's worth researching)

If it is an electrical issue, then you have some additional trouble shooting to do and I'm not familiar with the set-up on the 95 but I would get an electrical diagram and check your I/O's to your TCM, back probe and make sure voltages are within spec and your solenoid resistances are all where they should be (particularly your converter lock up solenoid) ....you can do this before you take your transmission apart.

Hopefully you can get it figured out.

Did you check the resistance of the wiring for the solenoids while it was non-functioning?

Hey guys. I need some help diagnosing a problem with the AW4 auto in my '95 Cherokee.

I fired the Jeep up to head in to town this morning. From the beginning it seemed the trans was sluggish when shifting as if it were low on fluid. This became more pronounced the closer I got to town, about 6 miles of driving. Just as I was nearing the parts store I had to stop for a traffic light. In order to just get the Jeep moving I had to keep the throttle floored and then there was no power from the trans. I was lucky to coast to the side of the road and get out of traffic but could go no farther. A friend came and towed me to his shop where we checked it over. The fluid was up and not burned but we didn't have time to drop the pan. Also, if the Jeep sits for a short time and is started again the trans will go into gear and move the Jeep around. This only last for a short time and then the trans quits again. This trans is in my '95 Cherokee with 126,000 miles and only about 1,500 miles since the fluid was last changed.

Has anyone had any experience with this issue? Thanks for your help.

Back