• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 XJ window lift switch

Truckedup

NAXJA Forum User
Got a problem.....The power windows can only be operated from the driver's master switch.The lock out switch appears to be broken..
I pulled off the door panel figuring I can "bypass" the lock out rather than replacing the switch assembly..................two problems....does anyone know which wires are hooked to the lock out switch....and ..how the hell do those wire connectors come apart without breaking them? Thanks.

When the passenger windows quit working on 1997 to 2001 XJ's, and the drivers door still works, the problem is probably the safety lockout switch on the drivers door.

You can temporarily jumper the wires to test out the cure before you make it permanent.

There have been several fixes available but they don't always seem to work and some are fairly time consuming to do. The following is a simple method, generally taking less that 15 minutes to complete. As long as the problem is the safety lockout switch, it will work every time.

What you'll need....

1 - 4" length of 16GA wire (any color)
2 - Red (or Blue) 3M splice connectors
3- 7/16" Socket and extension to remove the kick panel

1) Remove the drivers side kick panel. Locate a large white wire connector with 3 wires, colored yellow, tan, and black, and disconnect it.

2) Work on the the female end of the connector just removed. Use the red splice connectors and the 4" length of wire,
connect it between the YELLOW and TAN.

3) Reconnect the white wire connector and push back into the kick panel

4) Reassemble the kick panel and you're done.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Great,that's the way to describe a fix! I'm pulling the Jeep into the garage as we speak and I rely back on the repair

Yup,that did the trick.I didn't disconnect the plug ,just jumped between the yellow and tan with test wire.That lit the little green indicator light on all the window switches when the ignition is on. I hesitated a bit because Air Bags have yellow wires,at least on GM :passgas:

97-01 XJ airbag wire plugs are bright yellow. All other normal wire plugs are white or black.

Back