• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

iPhone as GPS unit?

bigalpha

I have an iPhone 4S and am wondering how feasible it is to use it in lieu of a standalone GPS unit.

Is there an app that I can download topos and roads onto and have it record my tracks? Is there something that has that plus being able to export your tracks?

try back country navigator. I use it on my droid...allows you to download and cache large areas ( I downloaded the entire Sierra Mountain range in California.

Pretty user friendly too and works well if you have a charge going to your phone.

bummer, cause it is a pretty nice app. Works good for appraising mountain cabin lots, big ranches and forest land for myself.

I found a topo program, but it basically just downloads a topo map but doesn't export/import any files or track your progress.

My dad uses GPS X on his iphone, he loves it. You can download maps of large areas on his, track your paths, and lots of cool stuff like that.

I use GPS Kit on my Iphone 4s, It give a satellite image of the terrain, Records your Tracks, Speed, Elevation, Accent, Descent, Distance Traveled , Average Speed, Lowest Speed, Max Speed .

Back