• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FSM recommendation

summit94

NAXJA Forum User
Have removed 4.0 from my 2000 XJ. First glance reveals no obvious explanation for coolant in oil, but there was lots of sludge almost totally blocking intake screen for oil pump. Hmm, could this have been the reason for low oil pressure?

Crank, cam, pistons/rods and block are going to local machine shop for examination today. Results will determine future course of action. At the least I would expect to polish crank, hone block and replace all bearings and probably piston rings. Eyeball read on cam/lifters shows very little wear, so those may get used again.

J&C out of Fairmont, WV has basically the same replacement 0331 deal as Odessa, so will deal with them if the rest of the engine can be put back together.

My hat is off to anyone who has successfully removed the E12 bolt on passenger's side of bell housing while working solo. Not visible at all from below. Used 3 feet of wobble-head extensions for that one with a spotter to place the socket; driver's side took 3 1/2 feet of straight extensions with a swivel right at the socket. Bell housing and cross member were dropped about 4 inches.

First purchase will be FSM. Is this a good deal?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Jeep-C...38296657&pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&vxp=mtr

If not, could someone recommend a reliable source? The spotter who helped locate the E12 socket has a small-engine shop and is also trained on larger stuff and has internet right there. We expect to do final assembly there and then replace engine back at my shop, where XJ lies in wait.

tia for all suggestions,

summit94

If you reuse the lifters put them back in the same bore they came out of.

My hat is off to anyone who has successfully removed the E12 bolt on passenger's side of bell housing while working solo.
Not too bad to do. You just need to move back a bit to see it. I also like to remove the engine mount bushings and let the engine lower onto the mounts. Gives you a bit more room.

My "spotter" is a recent graduate of the "NASCAR" UTI school in Mooresville who then spent a few years in a fleet maintenance shop. He has all lifters and pushrods indexed and has marked all the bearing caps.

Thanks for the tip; on my own I might not have known to keep them matched.

summit94

If you look, you can find original hard copy FSMs on Ebay. I think I paid $30 for mine and it came with the AW4 Diagnostics Manual. Only issue with it is that it is missing the front cover and the first 6 pages of the Introduction.

Ebay is about the best source I know of for FSMs.

I used a J&C 0331 head on an 00 or 01 I sold a few years back and it still is running.

I just got a pair of licensed Bishko FSMs (for dodges, not jeeps... they do jeep ones too though) off eBay for like 25 bucks apiece. got them off ebay seller quikby.

First purchase will be FSM. Is this a good deal?

If not, could someone recommend a reliable source? The spotter who helped locate the E12 socket has a small-engine shop and is also trained on larger stuff and has internet right there. We expect to do final assembly there and then replace engine back at my shop, where XJ lies in wait.

tia for all suggestions,

summit94

You also may want to consider a subscription to AllData (many pro shops do) if you have access to the Internet and a printer. Here's a link to check out: http://www.alldatadiy.com/buy/

Back