• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to Lock my 8.25 27 spline

themauler

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Yall,

Been wanting to lock my rear axle for a while. Currently under my XJ I have a 8.25, 27 splines 4.56 gears and a ZJ disc brake swap. When I go trail riding I run 34s and am pretty easy on the gas pedal. I have been running the same tire size on my d30, 4.56 gears stock shafts and small u joints, with zero problems for two years. Currently the only locker for a 27 spline 8.25 is a lock rite, aussie, or a detroit. I like the simplicity of the lock rite or the aussie. Does anyone have experience with a locked 27 spline 8.25? Also been looking at trying to swap in 29 spline internals and shafts but am not that committed yet.

this is what is tempting me http://www.diffsonly.com/sl-c8-25-2...ne-axles-includes-heavy-duty-cross-pin-shaft/

Thanks in advance

If you plan on going to a Detroit then you should swap to 29 spline. With the full case locker you are going to have to have your gears redone and it doesn't make any sense to spend the money to have gears redone if you aren't going to spend the extra 3 bills for good axles. You should be able to find chromoly 29spl axles for 300 from one of our vendors and they will be worlds stronger then factory 27 spline. There are even some for sale in the Sierra Chapter classifieds you might be able to get shipped to you for cheap.

If money is a factor then throw an aussie in it and call it good. If you have survived this long you should be fine.

If I were you I would save my money then go Detroit with chromo's and you will be set for anything you can throw at it.

As mentioned, I would swap in the 29-spline stuff at the same time. Locking a 27-spline axle seems counterproductive.

i had no issues with a lock right in my 27 spline 8.25. put about 15k miles on it and sold it to a buddy who put another 8-10k on it without an issue. both of us ran 33x10.5s; i didnt baby it, and my buddy was pretty hard on it. its currently sitting in our "inventory" of parts we may or may not use in one of the many jeeps in my group of friends. if you are going detroit, i would swap over to 29 spline stuff.

I have a PT no-slip in my 27 spline c8.25. Works fine for me granted I only have 31 inch tires. I think though if you do alot of research you will find that the 27 8.25 is substantially underrated by those that consider only marginally stronger than the dana 30. Most people that have actually used a 27 spline 8.25 with large tires and lockers are suprised at how well it holds up. Seems to have to do with the size of the ring/pinion gears which are bigger than that of the Dana 30.

I've been wheeling the crap out of a 27 spline with stock shafts and a detroit for a couple years now with no issues. I have beat on this thing like my girlfriends stepchild and it just asks for more. Also I believe you cen get a grizzly locker for the 27 spline.

Back