• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight upgrade

TrakrXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone happen to have FitchVa's "schematic" on the upgrade? I have something wrong somewhere and need to verify some connections, his site is no longer available. My driver side light comes on when I make final connection and stays on unless you pull BOTH fuses or disconnect BOTH relays and that is without turning on the headlight switch. Any help greatly appreciated!

After reading my OP, I should clarify Im looking for the schematic that FitchVa had in his harness write-up. Im hoping someone copied that write-up to their computer and is willing to share. I didnt and wish I had. I know Go-Jeeps write-up is "basically" the same, but I didnt use his,I chose Fitch's because it was very detailed through the process

Factory fog light wiring can cause issues with harnesses; solutions to that are covered here in several places.

If you are using SPDT relays, you need to have both lights connected to pin 87. Connecting one light to 87, and one to 87a would act like yours are now.

If you want a relay with dual 87 pins, head to NAPA/Summit Racing/elsewhere on the internet and look for one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/KC-Hilites-3300-Volt-Relay/dp/B0002MAE0M

Factory fog light wiring can cause issues with harnesses; solutions to that are covered here in several places.

If you are using SPDT relays, you need to have both lights connected to pin 87. Connecting one light to 87, and one to 87a would act like yours are now.

If you want a relay with dual 87 pins, head to NAPA/Summit Racing/elsewhere on the internet and look for one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/KC-Hilites-3300-Volt-Relay/dp/B0002MAE0M

This is what I was thinking. Thanks for your response.

If the drivers side turns off when you turn on the switch you need to go get a relay with dual 87s. 87a's are usually normally closed, means the relay is on when you have the switch off, and 87's are normally open, which means it closes when you turn on the switch.

Im pretty sure the problem isn't in the relays unless I have a bad relay. The drivers side stays on continuously unless I disconnect both relays, or pull both fuses.
I really appreciate everyones help on this especially since its a problem somewhere in my own making. Like I said, I followed this write-up to the letter(so I thought) thats why I really need to find IT to see where I went wrong. I built this harness several months ago but just got the chance to put it in. Unfortunately, FitchVa's site is no longer available and he hasnt been on here in a year. Lesson learned, download ANYTHING you want to keep

This is what I was thinking:

Factory fog light wiring can cause issues with harnesses; solutions to that are covered here in several places
After some searching I found what was actually a post within a topic that covers it. Ill give it a try sometime today if time allows

update, done the mod for the foglamp, still having same problem, I did find out that the one headlamp is burning both low and high at the same time. Im replacing the relays and go from there

Back