• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throttle sticking....

McJesse

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i have a 1988 jeep cherokee laredo and just recently it went i start it up it shoots up to like 3 grand and stays there not exacly sure what that would be any ideas?

I'd start by removing the entire throttle body, detaching all the electrical attachments, and cleaning it and all its ports with carb cleaner (and electrical component spray).

I'd start by removing the entire throttle body, detaching all the electrical attachments, and cleaning it and all its ports with carb cleaner (and electrical component spray).

If that doesn't fix it, adjust the TPS. If that doesn't fix it, replace the TPS and then adjust the new one.

Have you checked the linkage on the throttle body? The bellcrank can seize. Make sure it is free through its range of motion. Spray with rustbuster and then lube it. Good luck.

Before you get too deep into the electronics, I'd simply disconnect the throttle linkage from the throttle body and see what happens. On my 87, among other problems I had, the throttle cable started to bind, the gas pedal pivot bearing got stiff, and later on, the bell crank on the side of the engine, to which the throttle control is linked, had a worn out pivot that hung up and gave intermittent high idle. It was unrepairable owing to rust, so I solved the problem by adding a spring to retract the throttle better.

If the high idle persists with no linkage, then you go ahead and start operating on the throttle body, etc.

Before you get too deep into the electronics, I'd simply disconnect the throttle linkage from the throttle body and see what happens. On my 87, among other problems I had, the throttle cable started to bind, the gas pedal pivot bearing got stiff, and later on, the bell crank on the side of the engine, to which the throttle control is linked, had a worn out pivot that hung up and gave intermittent high idle. It was unrepairable owing to rust, so I solved the problem by adding a spring to retract the throttle better.

If the high idle persists with no linkage, then you go ahead and start operating on the throttle body, etc.

Excellent advice here^^. Perhaps Uncle Bob turned the throttle stop screw in, too. This will help determine if that's the case also.

Uncle Bob did get around, LOL!

I knew that comment would bring you out of the woodwork!! Wasn't that Joe Peters' imaginary uncle?

LOL, woodwork, LOL, YES, but I think Uncle Bod was real, LOL!:laugh:

Uncle Bob probably would have used K-Y jelly to get it unstuck, and yes I know, that IS what she said!

I figured it out haha all it was is that at the moment my ignition is little jimmy rigged so my key wad just turned a little farther then what it should've been so now it idles fine

Back