• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydro assist - Leaking

POSJ

NAXJA Forum User
Installed hydro assist this weekend and I can not get the lower fitting to seal for the life of me. I have tried liquid thread sealant and JB weld over the top three times and it still leaks. I am thinking about putting rtv on the threads and letting it fully dry then putting JB weld over the top as extra. Anybody have any better options or comments on this?

Try to replace the fitting. Sometimes they come boogered from the factory and wont seal.
I think no matter what kind of crap you put on there to try to make it seal it's going to leak, just think of all the pressure that's behind those fittings.

Think if I cut off the fitting a little higher up on the tapered section that it would seal better? The threads are only in the box maybe 1/8-1/4" so I don't think it is tight enough in there.

There are several locations a gear can be tapped. Is yours on the ear like these?

ArealView.jpg

What thread is it. I use 1/4 NPT. If it is NPT, it will be tapered. You have to be careful not to bottom out the fitting you put in there. If you do, you in effect block the oil passage. When I send out a box, it has a plug already in it and I file a channel in the plug so when it is screwed in, it does not cut off the flow.

If you are running 1/4NPT then you can grind off the tip of the fitting like you said in order to get to a larger portion of the thread. I use a 567 Loctite pipe sealant.
http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Temperature-Thread-Sealant-White/dp/B002I01A4A It is especially made for this kind of thing. Don't use pipe dope.

Last edited:
That's the info I was looking for thanks oldman, too bad you never made it down to Tucson. Would have enjoyed having you around.

Back