• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homebrew TandJ shock mounts

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone ever make a T and J upper style front shock mount? Not necessarily for go fast stuff, but something similar to the t and j bracet.

I hate to sound uninformed, but what are you talking about?

Are you talking about using a regular shock up front with eyes instead of a post?

If so, yah, use a RE upper disconnect bracket and a bushing for the shock.

T&J performance, is a company that sells jeepspeed oriented products, they sell an upper shock mount thats slightly overpriced, and easily fabbed at home... Im not sure if theyre a sponsor or not, so i cant condone copying their product, so go ahead and make sure you make some kind of change to it... I bought a set the first time, but was unhappy with how they fit MY JEEP.

Heres the t&j:

I dont all the strength of these. Im just looking to weld in a bracket. Im just looking for someone that has done it.

Slapped up some 1/4" steel in there welded a nut on the back of one and blam done. Not the best pic but it's all I got. If I did it again I'd cut some sheet metal out and maybe graft in a shock tower esk type mount just for piece of mine.

wheeling035.jpg

Ross that looks like What I want to do. weld in a few pieces of 3/16 and call it good. It looks like you brought the shock out a little. I know you have a front 60, but would this matter much with a stock 30? I plan on moving the mounts down to the top of the LCA bracket.
Justpunchit was that with stock steering?!

T&J performance, is a company that sells jeepspeed oriented products, they sell an upper shock mount thats slightly overpriced, and easily fabbed at home... Im not sure if theyre a sponsor or not, so i cant condone copying their product, so go ahead and make sure you make some kind of change to it... I bought a set the first time, but was unhappy with how they fit MY JEEP.

Heres the t&j:

So it's just a post eliminator so you can run rear shocks up front?

It looks like you brought the shock out a little. I know you have a front 60, but would this matter much with a stock 30?

They're just slightly outward from stock, if any. I don't see it making any big difference.

So it's just a post eliminator so you can run rear shocks up front?

High end shocks dont come in a stud configuration, there are exceptions, but for the most part they are all double shear mounting...

Many in the jeepspeed world report problems when using a conventional converter bracket thingy.... such as the jks. There is just too much force being applied to such a small area of doubled over sheet metal... the t&j, and shock mounts like them, distribute the load much much more widely, they also have a bolt that goes thru the sheet metal into the engine bay, tying it in on a 2nd axis.

The T&J's are designed for race shocks, so the ammount that they space it out from the centerline, is designed to give clearance for larger shock bodies at bump, where the design of our non triangulated, trackbar 4links have sway. Ive fit 2.5's, and im pretty sure the big boys run 3.0's as well on a similar mounting.

What do you plan on gaining with this if you don't plan on any go-fast stuff?

Good question. I'd say buy a pair of jks conversion brackets and be done with it.... BUUUUUT, they are easy to make, and dont really require any specialized steel if done 'easily'. To fully copy the design, you'll need 7/8ths or 1" threaded rod, washers and nuts, as well as 1/2" ID dom tubing and 1/2" bolts for the shocks....

However i can see someone skilled fabbing up something like this in 2 hours.... compared to ordering inferior parts from jks... i can respect that, NEEDED or not...

Im looking to do it for both the ability to run eye style shocks and to spread out the load. It will some go fast stuff occasionally.

Back