• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Group 65 battery in an XJ?

garr

NAXJA Forum User
I have read here that some of you guys run the larger 65 size battery in place of a griuo 34,
How do you get a group 65 battery to fit into a 2001 XJ's battery tray?
I can see cutting the lip off of the end of the battery tray will give a bit more spae, but It looks like it will still make contact eith the A/C compressor.

**EDIT for clarity**
I have seen that some of you run the larger 65 size battery in place of the standard size,
How do you get a group 65 battery to fit into a 2001 XJ's battery tray without contacting the AC compressor?

TO answer your question I rotated the position of the tray (using a BFH on the inner fender well) and trimmed the lip off the tray. The battery clears everything just fine

Mine fits in the tray

1990 and yes a 12 inch battery will not fit in the tray

I understand that, If all I had to do was modify the tray I would do it, I thought I might be missing something;
but there is no way a 12" long battery can clear the A/C comp bracket & hood spring on my 2001.
It looks like it is going to be a group 34 for my Jeep.
Thanks.

I have a renix, maybe my tray was/is broken?

I gave up & installed a group 34 battery.
I removed the tray & attempted to reposition it but on my 2001 there seems to be no way to make the group 65 battery clear the A/C bracket on one end & the tranny cooler lines to the front.

Back