• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing cruise control

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
My cruise control hasnt worked since I have owned my jeep. I really want to just take all of the components of it under the hood out. are there any write ups advice that can guide me in doing this. Will this affect anything other than just the cruise control. I tried to search and I didn't find what I was looking for. I have a 89 renix 4.0 and I would just like to free up space under the engine bay and remove the stuff I don't need or want. Also any help or lice that show what cables and pieces to remove would be great. I have a general idea but I don't want to just tear stuff out before I know what it is. Thanks

Start by disconnecting the cable at the TB and work you way through the firewall to under the dash. Cap off the vac source at the engine.

My cruise did work on the XJ for several years. One day it stopped working. The vacuum, switch, servo was all good. It wasn't until I endeavored to remove it that I found the cable on the TB. Disconnected!! Didn't know about that...works great again.

OP - when you start getting into that as cruiser said, check the cable. You may be disconnecting a working system.

What are the two cables that are attached to the bracket on the side of the intake manifold for. Are they part of the cc system? I know about the main throttle cable and the cable that goes to the trans. AW4. What are the other ones for.

That's what I was asking. The cable connects to a linkage that goes to the bracket on the side of the intake manifold. Then there are other cables that connect to the bracket. Do I remove those as well or leave them alone. I don't know what they are for. That's why I am asking.

The other two cables...

One is the Throttle Cable from the gas pedal and that would be nice to keep and the other is the Throttle Valve cable that runs to the Transmission. It would also be nice to keep.

Uh.

I think reading this thread has made me less intelligent.

Trace the cables, it is not hard, just remove the cruise parts. And please don't try to do any electrical work, for our sake and yours.

Back