• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 inch lift with 31s...what to trim?

samger2

NAXJA Forum User
I put a zone 3" lift on my XJ and stuffed 31s on it yesterday and they rub on full turn. Where does everyone recommend I begin for trimming? It's obvious where the rubbing is occurring but I don't necessarily want to just start hacking at my bumper trim..I don't want to make it look like a bad hack job. What have others done with a 3 inch lift and 31s?

Photo2438.jpg

Photo2435.jpg

Photo2436.jpg

Photo2437.jpg

4" on 33x10.50's
What I did here was traced around the flares and cut out them
IMG_0097.jpg

3" on 31x10.50's with less trimming
Cut and folded the front the same as the rear, much stronger and doesn't vibrate with the wind

f08e81d9.jpg

fully stuffed before I bump stopped it.
c2629603.jpg

Are you wanting to keep the flares or remove them?

Simple solution, remove the Bumper end caps. More complex, trim the end caps, bumpstop correctly. Even MORE complex, you can trim your fenders a bit and keep the stock flares, just measure carefully.

The more research I do I think it may have to do with the backspacing on the wheels. The wheels in the pic have 3-5/16 backspacing, Zone recommends 3.5"-4"...my black soft 8s that I plan on using are a 4" backspacing...I think that'll take care of my issue. It'll push the wheels back in 3/4 of an inch or so.

The OP said the tires rub on full turn. That sounds like rubbing on the lower control arm(s) more than the fender. I had this problem with 31's which was solved by swapping in ZJ LCA's. You can also put washers on your steering stops but I never liked the idea of limiting my minimum turning radius.

The OP said the tires rub on full turn. That sounds like rubbing on the lower control arm(s) more than the fender. I had this problem with 31's which was solved by swapping in ZJ LCA's. You can also put washers on your steering stops but I never liked the idea of limiting my minimum turning radius.

I believe you mean, WJ LCA's, as ZJ are the same as XJ

When I ran a 3.5" lift on 31's on my firstT XJ, I fixed my LCA rubbing with Soft 8's with the 4" b/s. You can achieve similar results with wheel spacers if you love your rims and don't want to swap.

I also removed the front end caps (before swapping for new bumper) to prevent rubbing. I also removed all inner plastic and relocated my horns.

You can buy some additional space with upper coil isolators. I'm currently running some OME isolators in addition to my stock ones and they fit together well and provide a bit of additional space. ACOS would be a great way to dial in the needed space, especially after you add bumper, winch, and 50 lbs of beer weight.

As always, bump stop as needed. Hocky pucks are cheap and easy.

I'm definitely gonna start with putting my soft 8s on first. I only have these mickey thompsons on because they already have the tires mounted on them...I can easily dismount one and do a test fit on the soft 8s.

Look at where it's rubbing and trim it. Or, smash your tires into the fenders and cut off all the dented metal, like I did. But if you're worried about appearances, I wouldn't recommend that...unless you take more care than I did to cut straight. :D

If you already plan on getting different rims I would wait to trim.

Then do exactly what you did to take the pics. Flex or turn the wheels til you rub, trim what is in the way.

I have a 3" lift with 31" on stock wheels but doesn't rub. It looks like your front wheels/axle has been pushed forward. Mine was kinda pushed forward when i first installed my lift with the longer lower control arms but readjusted the lower CA to center the wheels in the wheel wells.

I have a 3" lift with 31" on stock wheels but doesn't rub. It looks like your front wheels/axle has been pushed forward. Mine was kinda pushed forward when i first installed my lift with the longer lower control arms but readjusted the lower CA to center the wheels in the wheel wells.

Hmmm...I didn't replace my LCAs...but I did disconnect them to replace my springs. But bolting them back up would've put the axle back in place if it moved right?

Hmmm...I didn't replace my LCAs...but I did disconnect them to replace my springs. But bolting them back up would've put the axle back in place if it moved right?

Not really. I had to use a ratchet strap to pull my axle back some. There are shims on the back of the lower CA bracket. Have you gotten an alignment done yet? If not you need to. I will grab a pic of mine to show you how mine is sitting.

As promised..the pix: 31x10.5 Kumho Road Ventures on stock 15" wheels with 3" RC lift w/ extended LCA

Notice the rub mark on the bottom front of the wheel well/bumper end cap. That was before I adjusted the LCA.

Straight shot:
2012-03-07-16-38-57-441-1.jpg

Little Top Angle:
2012-03-07-16-39-08-783-1.jpg

Full Left:
2012-03-07-16-39-47-076-1.jpg

Full Right:
2012-03-07-16-39-28-178-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back