• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone looking for complete replacement SWB bedsides?

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
So a few months ago I picked up a short bed out of the JY that was in outstanding shape to use on my project MJ, but decided to save it, and cut up the long bed that was on it. Since then I've been toying around with the idea of making a "matching" trailer out of it, but leaving it full length. I know I would want to do the prerunner bed flares to match the truck, but still don't feel right about cutting it up considering how good of condition it is in. So here is what I am thinking/proposing: Somebody out there is looking for complete SWB bed side replacements, not just generic patch panels. I can go through and cut out all of the spot welds on this like I did on my long bed, removing the bed sides as one whole piece, and I'll even include most of the outer part of the wheel well(not the entire panel since that pinch weld ties the inner and outer wheel well, into the inner bed side), leaving me a clean spot to use the full fiberglass bedside from Hannemann, with out feeling bad about "cutting up" a perfectly good bed.

So for full SWB bed side replacements(I'll even go though and try and remove any dents and dings for the buyer), I would like to try and get enough to cover half the cost of the new fiberglass bed sides.... $500 plus shipping for the fiberglass, say $250?

Here is the truck bed:
4a69e749.jpg

4d75af10.jpg

ede9414f.jpg

f675cf7a.jpg

Some pics to show just how rust free this thing is:
DSC00343.jpg

DSC00344.jpg

DSC00345.jpg

How I go about removing the bedsides from the bed, drill out all of the spot welds at the front and back of the bed, across the top inside the bed rail, and then cut the inner wheel well, and remove.
DSC00367.jpg

DSC00368.jpg

DSC00370.jpg

You would just have to remove your old bedside(probably in a similar manor) fit the new bedside, and fill in all the weld holes I cut out.

I would love to have the whole bed for my rolled MJ. I got a complete cab top(bottom of pillars-up), a hood, a DS fender. Now all I need is both doors(going with XJ powered doors this time) and a PS fender. That bed would finish it off.

I don't think the bed I have will do you much good though, its beat to hell and back.

0224121553.jpg

0220121654.jpg

I still don't understand the point in this thread. Is the OP trying to sell the metal bedside from his old bed or is he talking about making and supplying fiberglass replacements and selling them here?

I still don't understand the point in this thread. Is the OP trying to sell the metal bedside from his old bed or is he talking about making and supplying fiberglass replacements and selling them here?

Neither, he doesn't want to hack up perfectly good bed sides if someone needs them. He is putting the fiberglass fenders on his MJ trailer so he can use any old rusted up fenders since all of that section will be cut out.

Neither, he doesn't want to hack up perfectly good bed sides if someone needs them. He is putting the fiberglass fenders on his MJ trailer so he can use any old rusted up fenders since all of that section will be cut out.

This, or I guess the more likely option would be a trade, my bed, for your bed with rust or minor body damage, plus cash.

A suitable candidate for these:
Jeepbedsides1.jpg

Jeepbedsides3.jpg

Last edited:
I would love to have the whole bed for my rolled MJ. I got a complete cab top(bottom of pillars-up), a hood, a DS fender. Now all I need is both doors(going with XJ powered doors this time) and a PS fender. That bed would finish it off.

I don't think the bed I have will do you much good though, its beat to hell and back.

0224121553.jpg

0220121654.jpg

How bad is the other side of the bed? Is the frame of the bed actually tweaked? Tailgate close "ok"? Pushing dents out is not that hard on these beds, as you can get right up inside of them with a 2x4 or other various dent-popping devices. Sand it down and glaze it over with bondo to fill in the creases and it will be good as new. I did this on my MJ, and I was NOT after a perfect finish, but if I had glazed it with bondo and finished it off, it would have looked perfect.

How bad is the other side of the bed? Is the frame of the bed actually tweaked? Tailgate close "ok"? Pushing dents out is not that hard on these beds, as you can get right up inside of them with a 2x4 or other various dent-popping devices. Sand it down and glaze it over with bondo to fill in the creases and it will be good as new. I did this on my MJ, and I was NOT after a perfect finish, but if I had glazed it with bondo and finished it off, it would have looked perfect.

The tailgate closes fine. My bed can be fixed with no worries, just would be nice to bolt one on and be done with the major dent work. All of the other panels that are bent(except the roof) are all bolt on. Doors, fenders, hood.

A&B pillars are still straight.

MAN! Why are you so far away! I neeeed the sides. Both sides. Or the whole bed. I could trade you even for a rust free bed in good shape with the exception of the beat up bed sides... It'd just cost 6 grand to ship my bed to you and your bed to me. lol

How about you come down the Harlan in July? :D

Last edited:
MAN! Why are you so far away! I neeeed the sides. Both sides. Or the whole bed. I could trade you even for a rust free bed in good shape with the exception of the beat up bed sides... It'd just cost 6 grand to ship my bed to you and your bed to me. lol

I'll probably still be trying to put my rig together in July, lol. Maybe we can work something out.

I'm down in Columbus and could use the pass side bed side.. Or the whole bed if the price was right.

I've got a short bed that is rust free but has some damage to the front pass corner.

Let me know!

I'll probably still be trying to put my rig together in July, lol. Maybe we can work something out.

I'm coming to Harlan in July........:) Don't know if I can get two bedsides in my XJ though....

Darn I wish I had realized this was in Indianapolis.

What do I have to bribe one of you guys in the area to grab that cargo area light and at least 6" of wiring harness? I have been looking for one of those for years now.

I'm coming to Harlan in July........:) Don't know if I can get two bedsides in my XJ though....

That could work for me. Keep me in mind.

Unfortunately, I can't do anything about it until then.

I'm still a long way off from even getting the rig that will be pulling this done, so I'm not in a huge rush. I would like to paint both at the same time though, but I probably won't be painting until it's almost done.

If we can get this figured out, I would like your old bedsides if it wouldn't be too much of a trouble.

They really aren't that bulky, it's just the length and width thats tricky. could easily be stacked on top of each other to save space.

Darn I wish I had realized this was in Indianapolis.

What do I have to bribe one of you guys in the area to grab that cargo area light and at least 6" of wiring harness? I have been looking for one of those for years now.

Those pics were probably taken in Nov, and it had been there for a month or more by then, I looked at the cargo light when I went back for a couple other things, it was pretty much ruined from the fire.

That'd be no problem as long as flex is willing to take them back to you... You wouldn't happen to want to rid yourself of a nice tailgate while you're at it, would you?

You are aware that my bedsides are the poster child for bad body work and terrible driving, correct?

Last edited:
Back