• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a good Engine rebuild Kit

setht303

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know of any good places to buy a decent 4.0 rebuild kit online? My engine has a knock and I have a spare engine that I want to rebuild to throw in it.

I think its a spun rod bearing, I just bought this thing and already did the t-case, but I have no idea how long its been knocking..

When my girlfriend ran my '96 without the water pump and managed to put a thumb sized hole in the number 1 piston (don't ask), I bought my stuff from here: www.flatlanderracing.com

Good quality stuff and great prices/customer service.

Good luck,

Hans

I used an Enginetech one from ebay. No complaints after about 15k miles. Has a slight knock/tick but that was my fault for pressing in a wrist pin twice instead of getting a new piston.

Was about $800 to my door, with a new crank. The packaging however, was by far the worst I've ever seen in my life. Everything was ok inside, but looking back I shouldn't have even accepted it.

Call Russ Pottenger at Bushop-Buehl Racing engines.

626-671-1000
[email protected]

He's not really in the parts business, but was telling me not too long ago he has a good source on 4.0 rebuild kits, and believe you me he has a very solid understanding of the 4.0.

If you are going to rebuild and are going to buy a crank kit, why not get a crank and rod kits from the 258 (4.2) and build a stroker? It looks like the 258 crank kits run around $100 more (just did a quick web search) than the 4.0. Just make sure it is for the YJ that had a serpentine belt.

Cheap Hp. Do the research prior to the build. I built a 4.7 in 2001 and it ran fine. When the 4.0 in my 98 needs to be gone through, I will not hesitate.

^This. I wish I had the time/knowledge when I was building my engine to make it a stroker. However, my overheating issues were just too much to handle to delay any longer with the build. I did a stock rebuild ".030 over.

If I ever need to build another 4.0, I'll definitely be doing a stroker. On my stock build I had enough money into it, I could have done a 4.6 for the same price. Get on jeepstrokers every night before bed for the next 6 months.

Back