• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 rebuild parts list help

dirtweazle

NAXJA Forum User
I am pulling in parts for a rebuild of a 2k 231. I have the 6 gear planet and large chain kit (thanks big 3). Got a low mile (-40k) 231 sitting on the floor so I can take the time to do it properly :dunce:

What else do i need? Do I need a master rebuild kit or just a few specific bearings and seals?

I can get a Rugged Ridge SYE for $170 or the JB conversions for $200. Is there any better deal/quality? Preferences? Why?

Are there any shifting fork or any other updates that I should consider?

Klune, Atlas, and Mendeloa are out of my range.. (I have a wife.)

A low miles, late model T-Case needs no new parts or updates. Most XJ T-Cases only need a new chain and some new shift fork pads.

Rugged Ridge and Omix-ADA SYE are the crappiest SYE's made. JB or Advance Adapters are better choices.

Porch has a decent sye at a decent price(similar to adance adapters), either that or the JB sye and you'll be in great shape!

You could always do HnT?

Why do the HnT when i got a TC sitting on the floor out of the vehicle. Need to bust it open to install 6g Planet and wide chain kit anyway. For $150 more I would rather get the shaft.... Im going with JB.. Thanks guys.

Personally, I'd think about replacing any bearing or seal that didn't require major work with a press, that's pretty much all of them except for that cotton-pickin' bearing on the tail end of the front output shaft. None of these are really high precision work. Make sure you get the mode fork back in it's right orientation.

Back