• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! Cherokee wont turn over

1badnova

NAXJA Forum User
Its a 96 XJ, 4.0 aw4 4x4. Went out today after running errands and the starter simply clicked. I know the battery is brand new so its not that. Grabbed a new starter and threw it in. Same thing just a click. I tried cleaning cable ends as they were crusty but that still didn't help. You can feel the solenoid clicking but no turning out of the motor itself. I bench tested both new/old starters and they both engage/spin fine out of the vehicle. The motor itself turns over just fine with a socket wrench and the teeth on the ring gear look perfect. I'm at my wits end with this, can anyone help or had similar experience???

sounds like the big cable is full of corrosion. You could go get a universal one as a temp fix. Hit up 5-90 for his cable kit.

I would agree that it is a power problem and probably caused by either a corroded cable or corroded connection. Mine used to do that when my battery clamps weren't connected tightly.

I installed 5-90's cable kit last weekend and it is great. Starter turns over faster, lights are brighter, and volt gauge doesn't drop as much when my electric fans come on. And it looks really sweet, which doesn't hurt.

http://www.kelleyswip.com/electric.html

It is a pretty nice set of battery cables made from fine strand welding cable. Flexible with a nice oil/heat resistant coating. Nicer then any cable you can get from your local auto parts store. He also sells them individually if you only want the cable going to the starter. http://www.kelleyswip.com/price.html

If you can make one easily go ahead, I believe that will solve your problem. I didn't have the ability to crimp a connection that size and didn't want to rely on solder because I have never soldiered anything larger then a 12ga wire before.

I would agree that it is a power problem and probably caused by either a corroded cable or corroded connection. Mine used to do that when my battery clamps weren't connected tightly.

I installed 5-90's cable kit last weekend and it is great. Starter turns over faster, lights are brighter, and volt gauge doesn't drop as much when my electric fans come on. And it looks really sweet, which doesn't hurt.
X2. I installed the cables from 5-90 last weekend, I was throughly impressed with the quality!

Back