PDA

View Full Version : Vibe from slip yoke

Dest
March 1st, 2012, 15:04
AW4

The Jeep had a bit of a vibe but it wasn't one that felt like wheel balance or a worn component to me, so I bought it to a professional (hopefully). His diagnosis:
Front shocks leaking
wheel bearing starting to go
vibe from slip yoke

1 and 2 I'll take care of this weekend, it's number 3 that puzzles me.

Back in December I had new leaves and a 242 swapped in. The leaves probably gave me about 2" of lift over stock, I'm not sure exactly how much since the old leaves were completely flat. I drove across the country and back completely fine. Love the full time 4wd in the snow. What confuses me is that the vibes didn't develop until a couple of weeks ago. Do slip yoke vibes develop over time? Or do you think it could be something else? What type of vibes are characteristic of a slip yoke problem? Should I just put a hack n tap on it and call it a day? With 2" of lift in the rear will a front drive shaft be the correct length? Thanks.

Tim_MN
March 1st, 2012, 20:10
A yoke that is loose on the T-Case splines will vibe. U-joints also will vibe. Don't forget to check the front drive shaft u-joints. Some 2000-01 XJ's had T-Case drops installed by the Dealership to solve customer complaints of vibes.

An SYE is a sure cure. Drive shafts can be lengthened or shortened as needed.

forged
March 1st, 2012, 20:18
I concur... Hack-n-tap is a great low buck fix for a loose yoke.

Johnnie Walker
March 1st, 2012, 21:50
Pull rear shaft, put in 4wd see if it goes away? Same for front shaft..

Dest
March 2nd, 2012, 09:16
How much lift is needed to use a front ds in the rear? I've checked the front u joints recently and they were good but I'll check them again.

91to99
March 2nd, 2012, 14:39
How much lift is needed to use a front ds in the rear? I've checked the front u joints recently and they were good but I'll check them again.
With 2 inches of lift you should be fine using a front shaft in the rear.
I am doing the same with 3.5 and it is barely long enough. haven't had any problems though.

Dest
March 2nd, 2012, 16:14
With 2 inches of lift you should be fine using a front shaft in the rear.
I am doing the same with 3.5 and it is barely long enough. haven't had any problems though.

That's comforting, at least I've got everything to fix it then. Thanks.