• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ Mogs, 43's, cage, doubler, full hydro, beadlocks build

(o)(o)XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Started this project with a pretty typical 2000 cherokee sport, 4.0L AW4 NP231. Locked F/R with RK longarm and 6" springs and 35's. Wheeled pretty hard but became clear that once i finished college, got a career and shop, and quit driving it that it would soon get out of control.
d4ae97aa.jpg

Was originally planning on going with 44/60 and 39's, but neh, got a smoking deal on this trailer load
f10a4c78.jpg

Looked like i was committed now so the torch bottles were filled and this was bought
7888d925.jpg

The reason i call this thing bolt on bruiser is because of the original brackets on the 404's. The majority of my axle mounts are bolted on with 8 5/8's bolts on each corner. Brackets started falling off of the sheet of 1/4"
f2eea707.jpg

and in a weekend i had this.
e60d518b.jpg

b3df899d.jpg

The cali lean was getting out of hand so the next weekend i slung the rear under it
d5fa1b7c.jpg

fcd49b49.jpg

Ended up a shade to tall so i lowered it to 4" of lift and was finally satisfied for now, the new tires should make it look a little more appropriate
61cd71ef.jpg

9f645aa2.jpg

Had always planned on stretching it so i flipped the rear springs around and was left with this
6e5719dc.jpg

Two cut off wheels later and the rubbing issue was addressed
afdc1883.jpg

Axle wrap was laughable to say the least so i threw this together to get me by, more on that later
4e4fda70.jpg

8313ffde.jpg

Threw together some flange adapters using a mix of old torque tube, stock cherokee drive shafts, and stock unimog shafts so i could move it under its own power

Played on some trails i cut behind the house to take the edge off until my new tires and rims arrived
716bd101.jpg

To pass more time i installed the cage i bought from motion offroad. Not the end all cage but definately a good affordable starting point to keep this taco from folding
381e0fa6.jpg

Tires finally arrived, i managed to find a set of 43" TSL Sx's, definately a difficult item to track down 3 months ago.
94ac18f3.jpg

12c6d052.jpg

Next the trailworthy fab rims arrived, pvc inserts, bare metal, backspaced enough to clear the massive drum brakes.
88c1ca4b.jpg

All put together and WIDE!
614ca3dd.jpg

d1905d96.jpg

[/IMG]

Could not even begin to turn the tires with the temporary steering setup, so installed the psc orbital valve and single ended ram. I'm using the stock ps pump for now with a massive cooler, turns great albeit slow, and no overheating issues so far.
8c4d69a6.jpg

be61b7e0.jpg

b1826b89.jpg

So anyways here's how it sits now awaiting the 1 1/4" heims to redo the crappy RK upper link and the limiting straps. FLAME ON!! :flipoff2:
74ae4d6d.jpg

68a22485.jpg

f1dfd1c1.jpg

6a2af900.jpg

3a3c01ec.jpg

lowered the jeep 4", i challenge someone to get a cherokee lower with stock unimog housings. I have 3" uptravel and then the stupid motor gets in the way.
b7585714.jpg

b3a972ad.jpg

5ebbda25.jpg

d0fe28de.jpg

d1bf83fc.jpg

I personally love the stance. 90" wide and 74" to 75" to the drip rail depending on tire pressure. For those keeping count i also have 20" + clearance to the lowest part on the difs.

As it sits, 3" lift coils, stock cherokee leaves flipped with 1.5" add a leaf and 1.5" lift shackles.

To achieve this height the exhaust had to be dealt with. For those with an older cherokee (singe down pipe from manifold) this should be cake. I have two and shortening/turning it sucked out loud. I will illustrate what was done with pictures.
5756b93c.jpg

Here is the reworked manifold, kicked forwards and around the oil pan ala TJ
39644bde.jpg

Comin in hot back down and around the passenger side of the oil pan
4683540a.jpg

Here it crosses up around and over the reworked traction bar crossmember
4bd7f416.jpg

Up to a Thrush welded laid up were the gas tank used to be, it kicks over to the drivers side after a flex coupling and....
bf19e6fe.jpg

Over and out through the stock hole in the unibody were the stock fuel filler ran. Sounds pretty good and is out of the way of everything. At the time it seemed impossible, now it was totally worth the effort. Relocated O2 sensor bungs and everything is running as it should.

Had the machine shop work up my seals for the pinion adapters out of the stock torque tubes. Turned out pretty slick i think.

45cf7925.jpg

Also took it out to play some and on very steep climbs the front end unloaded like a big dog
ef1a545e.jpg

Enter the suck down winch, it is a badlands 3000lb from harbor freight. It is mounted on the passenger side, with a pulley on the middle of the axle and the hook hung in the track bar mount.
23051dd3.jpg

65b128d9.jpg

I mounted the controller on my windshield wiper stick and i think it turned out slick as hell, very easy to find without looking and the winch will easily pull the front end down the final 3" to the bumpstops.
69bf32bf.jpg

As can be seen above in the suck down winch pictures, i also reworked my upper link. It is now 1 1/4" heims from ruffstuff (great product and vendor) with 2" .250" wall link material. Here it is on the axle
65b128d9.jpg

The frame side is a stock upper rockkrawler mount widened, plated on all planes with 1/4" plate. The inner unibody is plated with 1/4" a foot in both directions. Four 1/2" bolts still hold it on with the 3/4" bolt coming up through the drivers floorboard. I can now watch the mount and it has withstood some pretty stupid manuevers without flexing, time will tell.
f9f5c1c8.jpg

I am also currently working on my driveshafts. Unimog stuff is pretty beefy, the shaft on bottom is stock unimog torque tube u joint, the upper is 1350, there really is no comparison and i'm not sure at this venture which way to go. Mog is stronger but virtualy impossible to find without a hellacious lead time.
bb264edc.jpg

Finally took this pig wheelin, had a good day, nothing broke but a few issues reared their heads (namely brakes). Only damage was on the rock garden (see final few pics), smashed crossmember, removed exhaust, and trashed a krawler joint. Enjoy
73fb95c6.jpg

5f76d2d5.jpg

669b7884.jpg

f6aa3914.jpg

177a341f.jpg

bc3de965.jpg

36220c28.jpg

2c0cf63d.jpg

Made it through everything without winching or much drama. Getting geared up for a clayton trip this fall. Suckdown winch worked flawlessly as well.

Took this heavy mother wheelin again, 'twas the last trip on the mighty np231, long tail 300 with nwf twin cable shifters and flip kit are taking it's place. Jeep still works great though I can break the suckdown cable on demand. I'll figure something out. now enjoy the pics

2978888d.jpg

e90ba0a6.jpg

6fb14877.jpg

839597f7.jpg

Effin steep ^
60ffc22b.jpg

711df992.jpg

817e9066.jpg

Been doing some work to the bruiser. Installed the nwf flip kit and shifters
bdf29961.jpg

0f6aff4a.jpg

All excited about it, guess what, no way in hell it would work, front driveshaft would have to go through the bellhousing, oh well throw more money at it, box 4 rox it is
86df07ac.jpg

22240bf8.jpg

640a95a9.jpg

this pudwacker is officially silly slow now, took it out last Sunday and it flat out dominated, all the gear choices are tits and the front digs make it much more maneuverable. Also picked up a murderhome, game on folks.
51c5ddb1.jpg

27e945ad.jpg

Jeep looks XXXXing awsome and the stance is great too(mine is at 89" with 38" sx's)

Thats cool stuff man! Love the portal axles... I wheel with a couple 404's and a radio truck Mog, and they are beasts.... What kind of top speed can you get with the axles? Arent they geared like 7:1 or something crazy??

Holy shit dood. That thing is nasty...

This is one of my dream toys:
800px-UNIMOG_excavator.jpg

They gotta be getting phased out soon. The cheapest I found one was $11k.

I've been watching government liquidation but haven't seen one yet.

Sick murderhome too man. I've been kicking that around as well. They make nice party wagons!

Back