• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making progress on the MJ

OverlandMJ

NAXJA Forum User
Picked the MJ up this past weekend. Did a guage cluster swap, installed kick panel lights, also the cigarette lighter and ash tray lights. Put on the outside trim pieces that I got off an MJ at the U-Pull. I have the interior out getting ready for a good scrubbin'! The seats arent bad. One small tear but filthy! The carpet is pretty dirty as well. Looks like coffee stains everywhere. If i cant get the stains up I think im gonna just dye it black. Took some pics today.. having problems uploading them so heres the link.

Gary

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/f...75456463023,"vp":"s","sb":5},"ovm":{"v":"s"}}

That's a sharp truck. I would love to be able to find one like that!

It's much shinier in those pictures than it was here.
DSCF1269.jpg

yea I am suprised how well the paint still looks. I wonder how it will look with a wash and a coat of wax. Today I cleaned the seats and carpet and hopefully they come up good. I have a few small odds and ends and hope to have it up and going soon. Does anyone know whats involved with installing a factory cargo light? Is it just a drill and screw application or does the cab have to be cut to fit it?

Cheers

Gary

Yep that's all. It's gonna be my 180 mile a day commuter and will be at NACFEST!! It's got some rust but not too bad. New floor pans will go in this summer and undercoated. A few years down the line i will have to address some minor rust under the flaires on the bed, so it will be re painted and maybe a stroker!? We will see...

Gary

Philly to upstate New Jersey. On a big pharmacutical job.

I just started on this job. I'm a union carpenter and I get sent to different jobs all over the state. My usual commute is 45 to an hour. I thought about a little car but I need a truck for side work so I went with an MJ.

So today I Installed the interior. The seats and carpet came out great! Interior is looking good! I still have to wire in my comp/temp rear view mirror, and an XJ dome light with map lights, also, XJ vanity mirror sun visors.. sometime down the line. It will be on the road in the next week or so..:guitar:

Will post some pics

Gary

hah nice jeep I got confused for a min, I thought this was John B posting OverlandXJ. any relation?

I was wondering about the name and location if that was a concidence!

Sharp looing MJ, can't wait to see it at NAC-Fest.

~3.55 would be stock (slightly overgeared, 3.40 would actually be exactly stock) but might be a little of a dog on acceleration because of the rolling mass, I'd probably go with it just because you can pick up a pair of axles with 3.55s for real cheap. Slap new MJ SUA perches on an XJ auto 8.25 and toss em in... if you decide it's not tall enough gearing, now you have a set of stock axles just sitting there waiting for new gears at your convenience.

Assuming you don't mind a rear 35, I will hopefully have the old rear out of my blue MJ at some point, it is yours free at NACFest if you want it and it's pulled by then. Crusty but serviceable, has 3.55s.

Its up and rollin! Got it all legal and took it for a ride yesterday. One problem I notice is in reverse it makes an awful sound. When in reverse I feel a "clunk" when I tap the brakes, but nothing moving forward. U joints look good and im wondering if it is my t case or trans mount? Gonna get out there today with my dad and see if we can diagnose the problem.

Its the front control arms. Bushings are shot, allowing the front axle to move. It has a new RE lift but it has factory upper CA's. Will be looking for a set of adjustable RE uppers.

Back