• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ gauge cluster swap

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
Son's 88 MJ has the full gauge package but no tach.

Picked up a cluster from an 89 and installed it. Tach inoperative and the temp gauge is screwy..maxed with ign off and dead when ign on.

From what we read on Comanche Club this should have been an easy swap since he had the full gauges. Any ideas?

I had similar issues then decided to stick in a extra XJ cluster, worked fine. We used one of the "Ididit" gear indicators since ours is a column shift and the XJ cluster does not have the indicator in it.

I had similar issues then decided to stick in a extra XJ cluster, worked fine. We used one of the "Ididit" gear indicators since ours is a column shift and the XJ cluster does not have the indicator in it.

It is VERY easy to swap the factory indicator into the XJ cluster, it mounts right up and you just have to cut a small piece out of the gauge face to allow the factory shift indicator to show through. I did a write-up on this a few years ago on Comanche Club.

It is VERY easy to swap the factory indicator into the XJ cluster, it mounts right up and you just have to cut a small piece out of the gauge face to allow the factory shift indicator to show through. I did a write-up on this a few years ago on Comanche
Club.

I did your write up on one cluster but the indicator would only hit on the right spot on a couple of gears. I gave up and went with the Ididit gear indicator and love it!

Don't know why the tach would do that (perhaps it's from a 4cyl and going into a 6cyl or vice versa? on RENIX you have to readjust the gauge cluster if changing the number of cylinders since the tach gets the same pulse signal the ICM does) but the oil pressure and temp gauges make sense. The idiot gauge ones are on/off switches, the full gauge cluster ones are resistive senders, just replace the senders with ones intended for a full gauge cluster and they will work.

I did your write up on one cluster but the indicator would only hit on the right spot on a couple of gears. I gave up and went with the Ididit gear indicator and love it!

You must have had a bad indicator then, or maybe the needle got bent or cable stretched or something. It doesn't change the relationship to the indicator at all, and is exactly the same as factory.

hey guys, it was a bad cluster. Went to the yard and got a new one and all is well. It was a direct swap since I already had guages therefore had the sending units. The old cluster had a bad reading with the temp and it still does after the swap. Ill try to clean the sensor. Making some progress.

Gary

Back