• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modify Surco Racks

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone modify their Surco? maybe add a pre runner light bar or something? I hve had mine for about 5 years and Its just so plain and ugly to me. but I don't want to shell out a few hundred dollars for a new one.

I added extra crossbars to mine back in the day to stiffen it up.
Keep in mind, they are AL, so building the lightbar and clamping it to the rack will be the easiest option if you can't weld AL.

Thanks souske, I dont have anything on top of my roof but want to build something for the top for storage items and because I think they look cool if done right. So, i need to mount it somehow and was wanting to base my build off of factory mounting brackets/points.

Back when my surco was new, I used the brackets that attach to the factory roof rails.
Well I rolled that jeep, and the rack was fine, one corner was tweaked slightly, and it tore the factory roof rail out, and turned them to spaghetti. Pretty tough for an AL rack.

I would caution against putting the spare up there though, it made driving my jeep on the freeway akin to driving a bowl of jello perched atop slinkees.

I modified mine by removing/trading for a d30 lunchbox.Win .

I had to make mine lower profile to get into the parking garages up here in Vancouver BC.
The crossbars now run through the basket rather than under it.
IMG_0365.jpg

It's not as strong this way, and the cross bars running through the basket mean that the rack is not flush all the way across the bottom anymore, but I don't use it for much more than camping gear or some lumber now and then.

Back