• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Evap vent/purge solenoid, just started to tick but now cel is gone? fluke?

Boost_Retard

NAXJA Forum User
got in the jeep a few days ago, fired it up, engine got close to temp, then all of a sudden, tick tick tick tick tick, would rise and fall with RPM up to about 1800 rpm. can hear it very clear in cab, it is my evap solenoid..and its tickin away every time i drive the jeep now,

my question is, how much of a tick is "normal"? mine never made a sound (that i could hear anyhow) untill a few days ago, but what i read online tells me that the tick is normal, the tick that i have cant really be normal otherwise they would have had a hard time selling this jeep to anyone off the lot.

maybe the jeep gods are just tryin to be easy on me and cleared my presistant misfire code to make up for this new tick, but could this be related if my solenoid really was supposed to be tickin away this entire time?

so far i think i should try a new solenoid, rather than trying to better insulate it from the fire wall..this tick will drive me off the deep end

It is normal for the evap solenoid to 'tick'. It starts when Closed Loop starts.

The solenoid is mounted to the firewall with a rubber grommet to lessen the ticking noise in the cab. Check the mounting of your solenoid.

They can be VERY loud. When mine gets in a mood, it sounds like a broken piston skirt. First time I did it, I was sure I could count the engine life in minutes!

I have some mystery sounds coming out of my jeep. What will happen if you unplug the solenoid for a day or so to see if them noises go away? I understand it may throw an evap code but will it prevent closed loop?

i will tear into it tonight, but unless my isolation bushing just grenaded, im currious to why now, years later, this thing just decided to make a racket.

it can be very loud for sure, i know when the noise showed up i was thinkin i had a valve tick, almost sounds like a plug wire arcing, but in the cab. or a single cylinder exhaust leak.

i checked everything, added a bottle of acdelco lubricity lifter quite voodoo juice, re torqued flex plate bolts, checked for rubbing exhaust..then after all that, i think the voodoo juice quieted down the valvetrain enough to really hear the solenoid ticking underhood. 2001 xj 180,000 kilometers (no plug wires)

what exactly does an evap solenoid do??

I have some mystery sounds coming out of my jeep. What will happen if you unplug the solenoid for a day or so to see if them noises go away? I understand it may throw an evap code but will it prevent closed loop?

get yourself a peice of tube or wooden dowel or big screw driver and (or stethoscope) and put it on that solenoid and to your ear, you can hear it clear as day if its making the noise mine makes...at least you would know if its your noise without having to run it un plugged??

I know it's ticking fior sure you can feel it when you hear the noise. My problem with it is it's interfering with me being able to hear other noises I believe to be there.

The evap gear should have no effect on engine operation. It will throw a code, and that's it.

The evap system dumps fuel vapor into the intake manifold that would otherwise be vented into the atmosphere.

First time I heard it I thought it was a rod bearing. Just the right frequency at idle. Mine also sometimes makes a wheezing noise when it's cold.

Gives you one of those 'oh @#$!' moments for sure!

The evap gear should have no effect on engine operation. It will throw a code, and that's it.

The evap system dumps fuel vapor into the intake manifold that would otherwise be vented into the atmosphere.

Never got a code out of mine. Just noisey.

so my problem has been solved, i feel stupid now, but im glad its over!
SO last oil change, i must have put my elbow or something on the evap solenoid while installing my filter, finally got around to having a look at the ticking evap solenoid today, grabbed the thing and POP up it came, it had been flexed doward and had caught itself on the on the aluminum tube right underneath it. quiet as can be now,

so if anyone happens to find this in a search or something, pop the hood and give the bastard a shake. could be that simple!

So I'm having similar issues with my PCS. No effect to performance, I just can't stand the damn sound inside the cabin.

Mine clicks so loud and fast it sounds like a kitchen timer. At least a few clicks per second. This can't be normal so my question is....

What triggers the PCS to open? I know the PCM sends the signal to the PCS to open, but what triggers the PCM to do so? I don't think there is any pressure valve installed on our tanks that would do this is there? Is the PCM triggered to send the signal to PCS based running condition (temp, speed, RPM etc)?

The PCM signals it based on certain conditions met.

As for your noise make sure that the bushing is good and that the body of the valve is not touching the body in any way.
That's the plan this weekend.

But in the case that these items are OK, what are the "conditions" that need to be met?

I don't recall, nor is it something to worry about. IIRC its something along the lines of hot and not WOT. The clicking is normal and not something that needs attention. If there was a problem it would throw an error code for that.

Back