• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Flares

JLane99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
anybody got em?

how much more of an opening did they give you above stock? (like how thick a slab of fender were you able to trim off?)

have you used em on the trail?
how did they hold up? like did the flex well or did they crack when the got upside a rock or tree?

anything else about yer likes or dislikes about the flares please feel free to add.

tia
:)

I bought them, never installed them, sold them.

I liked his flares but the way I wheel I was certain that they would be torn off the first time out. I now wheel w/o flares. Bushwackers will give you more opening but I believe they are more fragile, Rusty's do seem to flex, alot like stock flares, if my memory serves me well.

unless you live in a state the will give you crap for not having flares, go flareless. JMHO

Fore Wheeler said:
I bought them, never installed them, sold them.

I liked his flares but the way I wheel I was certain that they would be torn off the first time out. I now wheel w/o flares. Bushwackers will give you more opening but I believe they are more fragile, Rusty's do seem to flex, alot like stock flares, if my memory serves me well.

i think you got it wrong, Rusty's flares are more fragile and prone to cracking when hit, whil bushwackers are more flexible, but i never owned either, so i don't have first-hand experience.

Bushwackers are strong and rigid and will not crack. They will tear out their own mounting holes though(ask me how I know :rolleyes: ). From research the Rusty's flares will crack if you look at them wrong. Just ask Handlebars. I would go with 4 rear TJ flares, they require a little attention to detail to get 'em to look right, but they look the best in my opinion(closest to stock appearance while still giving LOTS of room). HTH

Ary

Flares suck :) I have a "slightly used" set of Rusty's for cheap if you want 'em....seriously I certainly wouldn't buy them again, but that's me, the 300+ would have gone a long way toward a tubing bender! My flares cracked but they should have IMHO. I mean something has to give right? Most practical I've seen is vinyl base moulding riveted on....I trimmed 2+ inches in the front and barely had enough sheet metal to rivet to..in retrospect......anyway. Why not trim the sheet metal and move your stock flares up, cut off 4-6 inches on each end? My 2 cents.

they are like the rest of his suspenion parts they are good for street queens but if ya se a mild trail for get about it. had a guy at last years fall fling that looked like someone shot at them with shot gun but was from rocks gettin trrown threw and rubbin on rocks. i had them and sold them and now run tj rear flares all around.

WIll

Rusty's flares are the nicest looking of all the options...

...until you hit the first trail. I've broken off part of the rear flares on just about every hard trail I have been on. If you thought that they looked bad last year, take a look at them now!

standard.jpg

The fronts are still perfect. This will give you an idea of what they look like undamaged.

standard.jpg

They fit to the body perfectly, you would swear the factory put them on.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

285/75R16's clear without touching at all.

standard.jpg

But I've left little pieces of them in tight spots like this all over the west. :(
standard.jpg

I will eventually do something about those rear flares. I ran flareless for a while and HATED it. The windows on a two door are just the right size to allow the rear tire to throw pebbles and mud on the perfect trajectory to hit my left foot. No joke! I drive barefoot a lot and got sick of getting pelted.

cool fellas!!

thanks for the info..

especially to Handlebars..
those pics confirmed what i've heard..

Bushwackers are definitely not on my list mainly b/c of their looks, & i've seen a few ripped off the fenders as you mentioned Ary.

XXXJ-Va moving the stock flares up on a 97+ havent seen it done successfully, had one of my front completely (bracketrry & all) off the other day & looked @ that option, but w/ the clip-on design there's NOT anything to attach the flare to the fender w/ a screw (a very small lip, not big enough to get a screw into)

& as far as the TJ flares go i've thought of that & DO like the look as well as the performance qualities, but i haven't "studied-up" on the procedure to install em.

does any one know a link to a writeup on install of Rear TJ flares on a XJ ??

thanks again..:)

Re: Rusty's flares are the nicest looking of all the options...

Originally posted by Handlebars The windows on a two door are just the right size to allow the rear tire to throw pebbles and mud on the perfect trajectory to hit my left foot. No joke! I drive barefoot a lot and got sick of getting pelted. [/B]

Alex, again, I LOVE your rig.

And weird, but I too love driving barefoot!

the only trouble with rear TJ flares is all the mods you have to do to the flares and if you mess up $25 gone start over, don't ask how i know. i'm working on a set for both front and back already messed up 2 flares, but now know how to cut to fit.

$25 boogers.. that sux..

what tips could you give me?

i've looked @ some tj flare (mounted on a TJ) & wondered if i cut em to match the exterior profile of my XJ in certain parts of the flare what would be left to put a screw thru to mount it to the fender??

again any Tech write-ups online about mounting rear TJ flares @ all 4 of an XJ?? anyone?? preferably w/ pics (i comprehend better w/ illustrations, i'm a dummy like that...);)

uhhhhhhhhh yeah, if you could just have that TPS report on my desk by 1 o'clock...

jk:rolleyes:

yeah i'm lookin to put *REAR* TJ flares on front & back..

JLane99XJ said:
$25 boogers.. that sux..

what tips could you give me?

i'm going to use a thin peice of plywood to make the profile to mark on the flare, i used a rubber wellnut to mount to the body in the rear, i think if i did not have the ones that i messed up i would use cardboard to cut the back side out, the TJ flares have a lip on the in side. i will try to steal my brother's camera this week end and email you some pix with ideas.

also here is where i got my 4 rear TJ flares.
[email protected]
email Alex.

Last edited:
IMO TJ flares are the best option as far as durability. After having them for about two years mine have been beat to hell and have prevented a ton of body damage as they keep the body(and windows in certain situations) away from the rocks.When I laid my Jeep on it's side on the Rubicon earlier this year all I got was a scratch on the fender. Had I been flareless I would have gone over farther taking out my back window, door, and fender.
If you look at Jeepin.com's write up on the Bushwhacker flare install it will give you an idea of what's involved for installing TJ flares. I basically cut the TJ flare mounting flange up to the factory mounting holes then used it as a template for the metal I cut out.
08150020.jpg

08150022.jpg

Jes

thanks Jes for the info/tips. btw yer xj looks BA. looks like you did a good job on the install of those flares on it..

HEY MARK S. howz that flare project goin??

got em on there yet, howz about those pics...

Jes, your XJ is looking really good, I was wondering, how thick of metal did you use for your tails and to wrap around the body? I was thinking of doing this to mine, but i want a good combo of protection and not tooo much weight...also, is it just rivited to the sheetmetal back there?

TIA

PS, your f/r TJ Flares look really clean, great install!

Thanks.
The corners are 12ga steel and the mounting brackets and tops are 1/8". Everything is through bolted using 1/4" SS buttonhead allen bolts and nylock nuts.
A matter of fact I just made another set for a friend...
picture.JPG

...these will be for a four door, extending all the way forward to the rear doors.
Some assembly required. ;)

Jes

how much to ship a set to KS :)

Oh, and where is the best place to buy TJ flares. All my local chrysler dealers sell parts at list, so they will probably be more than $25 is my guess.

Andy

Jes said:
Thanks.
The corners are 12ga steel and the mounting brackets and tops are 1/8". Everything is through bolted using 1/4" SS buttonhead allen bolts and nylock nuts.
A matter of fact I just made another set for a friend...

...these will be for a four door, extending all the way forward to the rear doors.
Some assembly required. ;)

Jes

sweet, those are the #s I wanted, thanks man

Back