• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loose U-joint Cap

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Tracking down a noise/vibration and discovered a loose cap on one side of the yoke at the rear end.Bolts were tight,,,,but these straps/bolts have been on/off several times over their life...... will be getting new bolts/straps tomorrow.
However it would be a good time to up-grade to the U-Bolt style of yoke... Who makes them ? who sells them ? Spicer,Randys, Some one here deal in them?
Thanks,
Wayne

Crap,,,,should have included its for a D44 rear axle...

My next dumb question is: since 8.25 yokes are so expensive in any form and unobtainable in u-bolt form, is it possible to drill one out and retrofit it with u-bolts?

My next dumb question after that is: would it help keep end caps from pushing outward on yokes that have a little wear on the tabs? My last two high mile Jeeps have had problems when the little tabs that hold the end caps in wore down, and allowed the end caps to spread out a bit. No amount of strap tightening helps this, and shims fall out, but I'm wondering if u-bolts would hold better. I thought of welding them and remilling to size, but lack the skills and tooling to do it well enough.

My next dumb question is: since 8.25 yokes are so expensive in any form and unobtainable in u-bolt form, is it possible to drill one out and retrofit it with u-bolts?

My next dumb question after that is: would it help keep end caps from pushing outward on yokes that have a little wear on the tabs? My last two high mile Jeeps have had problems when the little tabs that hold the end caps in wore down, and allowed the end caps to spread out a bit. No amount of strap tightening helps this, and shims fall out, but I'm wondering if u-bolts would hold better. I thought of welding them and remilling to size, but lack the skills and tooling to do it well enough.

yes, run a 5/16" drill bit through it to take out the threads, and you can use the ford u-bolts. This works just fine on an c8.25. On a d44 yoke there's a little bit of metal on the backside that has to be taken off to allow the nut to sit flat. Not sure about a d30 yoke.

Changing to a u-bolt strap like this places the load on the cap closer to the center, and I'm told that can put extra stress on the needles in the bearing. I understand that logic, but I ran it like that for a couple years without seeing a problem from it.

To answer your other dumb question, no it won't make a difference.

Last edited:
Last I knew and have used.... The D30 and D44 yokes both use the same style and have been interchangeable to each other. Just another idea depending on what is listed out there. The one on my D44 will work(I have checked) on my D30.

44 and 30 yokes are swappable to the best of my knowledge.

Back