• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird clunk from back end?

byrinxx74

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i have noticed that when i stop some times, or press the gas from a stop, there is a movement from the rear end, almost like something is not bolt all the way. I have checked everything though still happens.

Did you check the spring bushings as well? U bolts, spring bushings, and very weak springs are likely culprits of this type of clunk.

I was experiencing weird stuff from the rear suspension of my jeep, i would describe it as the rear end playing the bongo's when trying to do a burnout in loose dirt.

It was axle wrap, a side effect of running Add-a-Leafs. It took out my rear driveshaft ujoints in short order as well.

Sounds running through the unibody can be deceiving sometimes.... I had a clunk that I thought was coming from the right rear..... Turned out it was a loose lower control arm in the front........

Yeah, I'm getting the same thing. Kinda of a dull clunk right after pulling away from a stop. My shackles (teraflex) are less than a year old and I just had my spring plates off the other day so I know those are tight. Next time I'm under the jeep I'll check the front arms (stock uppers, RE? lowers). I'm running add-a-leafs (RE maybe? they were on it when I bought the jeep) that don't quite match the contour of the main leaf and touch at the ends of the aal under the bushings in the mains with a gap going back maybe a third of the way to the axle. Could it be that the aals are contacting the mains on the edge at the end of the aals? How is everybody else's jeep setup? Maybe we can see what we have in common and try to narrow the cause down.

Next time I hit the pull-a-part, I'll grab a extra set of leaf packs to make up some bastard packs (number A, because the way the aals are in there has been bothering me for a while, and number B, to see if it helps with the clunk)

I have a 90, lifted 3.5 inches with no SYE. I drive up and down hills to and fro to work, town, etc. Had the same clunk taking off from a stop sign or when the tranny downshifted. I checked the u-joint several times by rotating it and it seemed solid. Finally I checked it by pushing it side to side and it was moving ALOT. Like an inch either way.:(

Took it out, surprised how easy it was to do, and surprised how ruined it was. Cleaned up the yoke, replaced the rear u-joint greased the crap out of the slip joint and put it back. Simple, clunk gone. :cheers:

um, a weird clunk from the rear axle can be a worn out axel.

I forget the proper term, but back before I swapped a ford 8.8 into my 85 XJ the old rear end (dana 35) was so worn out that when it was engaged the pinion gear, yoke, whatever its called would jump out a little and bump.

Admittedly this is worse case scenario.

I had the same thing for the longest time. But it was my carrier for the ring and spider gears.

If i was you I would take off the diff cover and make Sure the bolt that holds the pinion shaft is tight or even there anymore. These little bolts are known to snap off. Also while your in there make Sure there is no slope in any which way in your ring and pinon.

ALWAYS mention your model year, engine/trans/t-case, and any modifications that you have made. Correct answers to even the simplest question can vary greatly based on this information.

.....take off the diff cover and make Sure the bolt that holds the pinion shaft is tight or even there anymore.......make sure there is no slope in any which way in your ring and pinion.

Do what ?

1996-2001, a thud, clunk, or bump feeling from the rear at stops or starts is commonly a dry slip yoke on the drive shaft. Worn out u-joints would be your next suspect. Checking torque on your suspension components should be on your to-do list. Failed axle parts are a possibility, but certainly not very common. The pinion nut has a specific torque value and you should not just randomly tighten it as some sort of solution to noises.

Last edited:
Back