• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine or tranny problems

werewoulf3

NAXJA Forum User
Won't shift out of first..... Radiator has been leaking, temp is not hot, oil pressure sending unit has shown that it's a bad connection so can't rely on that...... Went muddin saturday and Monday, got stuck both times, water wasn't up to the doors but up to the pumpkins....... Drove it Monday with no problems, but smells like it was burning something after It shut it off..... Got in it this morning and it started up just fine, drove 25 feet and the check engine light came on, then noticed it wouldn't shift, started to turn around and it died, started right back up just fine, drove it back and parked it.......... Sorry for the long story but I need help, it's my daily

Download the Check Engine Light (CEL) trouble codes. Your Jeep is trying to tell you what is wrong.

You can use an OB2 code reader or you can take it to an autozone (which might be a problem for you) to have the codes read.

You can try this:

Put the key into the ignition, push down the odometer reset button, then turn the key to RUN with your finger on the button - and then release the button. The odometer will go through 1111111 through 999999, then display the car's serial number. It will then show the error codes (it might show them starting with P). If this method does not work, try the OBDI method.

Report back with what happens.

Last edited:
well that method didnt work out, it never showed a code, just went through the numbers

tomorrow when i wake up im gonna try the NSS and if that dont work, the TPS........then if that dont work, change the tranny fuild and see if i can limp it to autozone

Before you start changing stuff. Out the shifter into 1-2 and drive down the road to see if it will shift to second. It won't shift until 4500 rpms. It sounds like your going to explode your engine. It scared the hell out of me the first time did it.

u mean manually shift it from first to second? what will that prove?

And when i mess with the TPS and NSS, im just gonna pull em off and clean them

Shifting it manually let you know if the problem is electrical or mechanical. You will need to disconnect the TCM though.

Randomly installing parts in the hopes you accidentally fix the problem is time consuming and expensive. Why not download the CEL trouble codes with an OBD-II code reader and find out what is actually happening ? Your Jeep is trying to tell you what is wrong. Mud and water certainly make electrical or sensor issues likely faults. 1998-2001 do not display trouble codes on the dashboard.

Randomly installing parts in the hopes you accidentally fix the problem is time consuming and expensive. Why not download the CEL trouble codes with an OBD-II code reader and find out what is actually happening ? .
Exactly. All you have to do is go to your local parts store and tehy will pull the codes for you for free. that Neutral saftey switch I wouldnt mess with uless I had to, it can be broken rather easily.

ok well after goin out to mess with it for a little while.........it starts fine, but when u put it under throttle, about 2k and then let off, it dies...........the start up and idle is fine, but as soon as the throttle goes out, it dies

as far as the OBD reader, the closest one is about a mile away, so should i really risk it and try to make it there?

yeah that didnt solve it.......does anyone think i might have blown a head gasket or anything?

im gonna take it to a mechanic on base tomorrow i think, unless i can think of something else to try with ur alls help

You have to get your codes read!!! You just wasted more money from not getting them read. It's 1 mile. even if you go 1mph, you are only looking at 2 hours of your day wastes

Back