• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heims instead of upper bushings.

frankensteinxj

NAXJA Forum User
Alright I am doing a front 60 swap and using radius arms up front.
The only problem I have with this is the stock uca bushings holding up to the weight of the d60.
Would it be possible to mount heims to the axle instead of using bushings?
Never seen this done that I can recall and I dont know why it wouldnt work but this is my first time doing anything like this.
I could just make new uppers with heims but this idea popped into my head and I figured I'd get a second opinion. why wouldnt it work?

Several people have done this, most in the Jeepspeed world. It'll be a bit more of a harsh ride but here's the kit:

edit: By harsh I mean it's rougher on suspension and the Jeep when hitting bumps / whoops / potholes etc.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/Product.aspx?id=1277

ce9102k.jpg

I would do a 3 link but the radius arm would literally be done in about a day of mild work and this project is taking way longer than I wanted.
And I am happy with the way my radius arms perform. They would over travel my shocks if allowed.

Thanks for the link and info. rougher ride doesnt matter. This thing prolly wont see the street at all.

Several people have done this, most in the Jeepspeed world. It'll be a bit more of a harsh ride but here's the kit:

edit: By harsh I mean it's rougher on suspension and the Jeep when hitting bumps / whoops / potholes etc.

So the joints and everything don't last as long?

Just what is wrong with a 4 link. Do not say it will bind...

Way to much work trying to run one under an xj.

Like I said previously, The radius arm setup will be done quick and wont be hard to do.

Figured while I already have the links may as well give it a shot. If it doesnt work out Ill man up to it say i was wrong and build a 3link

So the joints and everything don't last as long?

no.

the johnny joint will outlast factory bushings hands down.

there is not as much NVH absorption in the johnny joint than in a bushing.

while some think that this will create a harsh ride, they are not correct. while that might be true of other cartridge style joints that use hard plastic inner races, or heim style rod ends, the johnny joint uses a proprietary urethane inner race that does a damn good job of absorbing NVH.

I regularly switch between a stock XJ with OEM rubber mounts, and an XJ with johnny joints on both CAs, there is no noticeable difference.

Back