• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with windshield & trim swap

gdavis

NAXJA Forum User
91 XJ 2 dr. - I searched, didn't find answer. Want to replace the 91 windshield with new glass & later model XJ rubber trim.

The glass shop indicates there is a different P/N for the 91 windshield vs. a P/N for a 96 windshield (example that uses rubber trim).

I thought a windshield P/N would be the same for all years, & just the trim was changed? So, order the 91 glass & the 96 rubber trim? Or do I order the 96 glass & rubber trim & hope it fits the 91?

Thanks for any help.

both my 87 and 89 dont use a rubber trim. the glass is glued in with tabs all around it, then a chrome strip is snapped over the edge.

Yes, the 91 uses metal trim, but I want to upgrade it to rubber. The rubber trim is quieter (less wind noise) and think it seals better.

I suspect any part number difference will be different shading, rather than different dimensions. I've had rubber gasketed windshields in an 87 and a 93, but I'm not entirely sure whether they were old ones with the new gasket or new ones with the new gasket. I know that one of the ones I put on my 87 was a later type from a junkyard that came out complete with rubber gasket. The 93 got a rubber gasket, but since it came from a glass shop I don't know which version they used. Either way they fit. The hole in the vehicle is the same size, so I don't think it matters which windshield you use.

If the glass shop is in some doubt, I'd suggest you use the later windshield and the rubber gasket. It's usually recommended that you break off the metal studs that are used to attach the old style trim. It isn't absolutely necessary, but you might as well, since you'll never want to go back to the old trim, and it might help them put the sealant in more smoothly.

Make sure whatever you do that they clean up any rust on the pinch weld before installing, and if at all possible, get a guarantee against leakage and separation. It's a constant battle on old XJ's to keep replacement windshields tight.

Winshield will fit, rubber trim should fit as well.

However... the rubber trim does nothing in the sense of sealing the windshield, its there mostly for looks and to cut down on wind noise. All xj front windshields are held in with eurathane, which is a resin type glue that dries but really never dries if that makes sense. Just make sure you go to a shop with a very good reputation, because most of those who have not worked in one do not know that the tools they use to remove the windshield scrapes the paint down to bare metal in some areas where it touches. A good shop knows to use a eurathane/paint like sealant (cant remember exactly what its called, its been a while since i worked there) that keeps rust from forming and causing a leak, while a sucky shop will more likely than not just overlook it.. A properly put in windshield should never leak, only reason one will leak is if the lip the windshield sits in is rusted, which is caused by carelessness by the shop more times than not.

Sorry, i get to ranting from time to time :D
Long story short, go to a good shop. Saves you the hassle of having it redone the right way in a year or so when the windshield leaks.

In general, when replacing a windshield, they don't remove all the old urethane. It's actually the factory recommended technique as far as I know, to cut the urethane bead, but leave about half of it attached to the pinch weld, and then seat the new urethane on top of that, rather than starting from scratch. The urethane used on this kind of replacement is a bit softer and runnier than what you'd use for a complete bead, and when done right, it gives very good adhesion. This is fine as long as the original bead has not begun separating from the pinch weld owing to rust. A good shop will check for a loose bead and rust and at least try to fix it, as well as priming any areas that were scraped in the removal.

So yes, go to a good shop if you can find one.

PRIMER! Thats what it's called, why the hell couldnt i remember that? :doh:

And the eurathane they use is strong as hell. We used to glue quarters to the floor of the shop with it and see people try their damnedest to get them up while they thought we werent looking :D You'd be surprised how hard people will work for a quarter.. Even tho no one could ever get a single quarter up :D

Update on the 91 XJ windshield swap. Ordered a 96 XJ windshield & trim. Install was completed w/ no issues or problems.

The only comment, I tried to use a dremel to cut off all the old pins after taking the old metal trim off. The dremel wouldn't reach down in the groove deep enough (don't have a flexible shaft on it) so carefully used a 3 1/2" cutoff tool.

Many thanks for the assistance.

Back