• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Iron Rock Leafs - What lift height?

DaveNJeep

NAXJA Forum User
What ACTUAL lift is everybody getting using IRO 5.5" Leafs? What about the 3.5 leafs?

My issue is I want an actual 5.5" lift when finished. I talked to IRO and they said you must (due to the springs being longer) use a lift shackle adding 1" or 1.5" of lift for a TOTAL of 6.5" or 7" of lift. It sounds like I should use their 3.5" leafs with the 1.5 shackle for a total of 5" BUT I've onwed this Cherokee for 20 years and have been thru 4 sets of leafs! Every one of them has sagged and forced me to use blocks, bastard packs... etc.

I guess what I'm asking is in your experience do they sag and do they actually give 3.5" and 5.5" of lift?

4 sets of leafs? what kind of use? use many miles? are you bumpstopped? what kind of shocks? what brand leaf packs? i dont think the leafs are to blame unless you're buying used junk.

First set was the stock set, second set was Trail Master add-a-leaf (keep in mind this was 1991 and there was all of two lifts available for XJ's, TM and Rancho, and Rancho didn't even offer add-a-leafs!). Third set was RE in 97. Fourth set was a combo RE/Bastard pack. Technically the 5th incarnation was the bastard pack with 1.5" blocks.

Keep in mind, 20 Years, 285K miles, Con, Fordyce, Dusy are in my back yard and all those years we USED the living crap out of this Cherokee!

Yes bump stopped, and do you really want me to go thru ALL of the various shocks I've used? lol

If your using lift blocks with all of this that is why. Your probably just twisting those leafs to s shaped crap. And you for sure dont want to be using a factory shackle. I know there are good companies out there and what you need is a heavy duty 3.5" leaf spring set and a lift shackle and no block. The will ride better, flex better and last longer.
On a side note. I used dodge one tone van leafs. Made a 5 leaf pack out of a 9 pack and it works great.

get a set of deavers and be done with it, or clayton if you dont want to spend $900. IRO, RE, procomp, whatever are all highly arched 4 leafs that dont last. clayton's packs have been getting pretty good write ups as of late, and deavers are well.. theyre deavers.

get a set of deavers and be done with it, or clayton if you dont want to spend $900. IRO, RE, procomp, whatever are all highly arched 4 leafs that dont last. clayton's packs have been getting pretty good write ups as of late, and deavers are well.. theyre deavers.

The IRO 3.5" and 5.5" springs are 7 leafs, military wrap and $140 cheaper than claytons. I don't run them but have been thinking about getting the 3.5" leafs.

I agree about the blocks, that is why I'm finally going (or trying) to go to a QUALITY replacement. I also agree with Sean, the IRO are good quality. But OMG have you checked the cost of shipping out here to NorCal?!! $100 for standard shipping. That puts the cost over $500 with the shackles.

Back