• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which locker should i get?

McJesse

NAXJA Forum User
right now i have a dana 30 front end im not wanted to upgrade to bigger axles yet. Im running 33in tires at this point and i was looking at the aussie or spartan lockers. what do you guys think of these lockers? i heard a lot of people run them but i just exactly dont know what i should get. my budget for a locker is probably gonna be around $300 so if you have another locker in mind let me know i'd appreciate your opinion.

-Jesse

Jesse, call "The jeep guy" in SE Portland. He has the D30 spartan on the shelf for a GREAT price!

They all work the same, the Spartans just easier to install.

That about says it all. . .My Spartan was easy to install and has worked flawlessly. . .Lots of people have the same results with Aussie.

I suggest AUBURN ECTED, they work very well in any condition.

Regards
Mug
youre kidding right ive seen atleast a dosen of them installe in a variaty of axles and NONE worked corectly
i think im gonna get a spartan since theyre easy to install. is it pretty quiet?

aussie and lockright are just as easy to install and you dont have to worry about yukon quality and fitment issues

aussies are nice, they are out of stock now though. I have a spartan in the front now because of that, but I had no problems with it.

youre kidding right ive seen atleast a dosen of them installe in a variaty of axles and NONE worked corectly

I have ected front and rear D30/D44 running 33's.

They have been in for several years and while not a hardcore rock crawler, my XJ has run some fairly challenging trails along side a variety of rigs from stockers to trailer queens. I have never had an issue with the ecteds.

They may not be suited for pedal mashing rock hopping, but in my experience they are a good option if you want a selectable locker on a mildly built daily driver that will get you farther down the trail then a lot of other rigs

That being said, I don't think they are within the OP's stated budget.

Love my Spartan in the front. D30/NV242 t-case. Quiet as a sleeping baby in 2WD, works fantastic in 4WD. Lots of good videos on youtube for installing them, too.

supposedly the spartan is slightly stronger than the aussie.... really the only benefit I see is those 4 little holes they drilled, the slots in the pins, and the peices of wire they give you to make the install easier.

I have done an aussie and a spartan install and the spartan was much easier.

the weak point is still the stock carrier, so my vote would be ARB :rofl:

really the only benefit I see is those 4 little holes they drilled, the slots in the pins, and the peices of wire they give you to make the install easier.

Really? The new hardened Cross shaft and new roll pin is not a benefit at all?

not when its inside a stock carrier. the weak part isn't the cross pin, but the cross pin holes.

Your not fully informed or overlooking the design of the insert locker...

The locker ramps on the cross shaft. if the cross shaft is worn (most Everyone I ever removed is) from 100,000 miles of spider gear turning on only the 2 sides of it, that can adversly effect the opperation.

You dont replace the shaft because the new one is "stronger" its because its round, not ovaled and gouged.

Not true, Many factory cross pins will break before the Carrier.. its a gamble on witch goes first..:cheers:
right, but with the hardened cross shaft from spartan you have pretty much guaranteed the cross-shaft holes in the carrier are now the weak point. I fail to see how that helps much.

Your not fully informed or overlooking the design of the insert locker...

The locker ramps on the cross shaft. if the cross shaft is worn (most Everyone I ever removed is) from 100,000 miles of spider gear turning on only the 2 sides of it, that can adversly effect the opperation.

You dont replace the shaft because the new one is "stronger" its because its round, not ovaled and gouged.

before I went ARB, I bought a new cross pin to go with my aussie.
seemed to me that re-using the stock one, that had 170,000 miles on it would have been a bad idea. not sure why anyone would do that. I have found spicer cross shafts for as low as $13.00; no reason not to replace it.

my question, is there really a benefit to the hardened cross shaft that spartan sends over a new OEM cross shaft? if the carrier were stronger, then a case could probably be made for that.

Back