• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing a leaf from RC leaf pack

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I currently have RC 4.5" springs out back and recently added HD Offroad relocation brackets. The brackets raised up the back of the jeep significantly and I would like to lower it down a little bit to even it out.

My initial thought is to use what I already have, and simply remove a leaf or two from the pack. I would like the rear to sit roughly 1.5" lower than it currently does. How many leafs should I remove, and which ones?

Now for my second question. How would I go about removing one of the middle leafs? As seen in the pic below, there is a clamp holding them together. Would I need to bend the clamp into a "|_|" shape, remove a leaf, an then hammer it back? What happens if I take it off completely?

IMG_1110.jpg

Any info will be greatly appreciated!
-Jeep450r

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you'd want to take out a leaf in order to keep a lift shackle?

Good point. Im trying to get as much travel out of the rear as possible, hence the longer shackle. Although even with the stock shackle, it still sits too high for my liking.

just add a spacer up front?

While that is an option, one of my build goals has aways been to stay fairly low. With that said, 4.5" on 33's isn't super LCOG, but I really like the feel and stability of it off road. Yeah, I guess an inch up front wouldn't effect it all that much.. but if anything, I would like to take an inch out of the front, rather than add some.

Im just picky I guess :D

Thanks for the thoughts!

:cheers:

Remove the shortest leaf and see what happens. Without the leaf clamp, the leaves tend to spread out and can puncture a tire.

Remove the shortest leaf and see what happens. Without the leaf clamp, the leaves tend to spread out and can puncture a tire.

I unfortunately know this from experience. Just buy a couple new leaf spring straps if you're gonna rebuild your leaf pack. There are a lot cheaper then a blown out tire!

...and you know you also have to c clamp the pack and remove the center pin if your goin to remove a leaf. So I would replace the center pin as well.

The shortest leaf as in that midget one at the very bottom? or the smallest within the clamped pack (second up from bottom)?

I did something similar when I added shackle relocation brackets. If i remember right, i took out the second shortest and third shortest leaves and replaced them with the ones from a stock pack. This softened the ride a bit, and leveled things out. It looks like you may run into a problem with the shackle hitting the relocation bracket under compression though.

it does look like your shackle is about bottomed out against the relocater that might make for a noisy ride on bumpy roads and limit up travel

I did something similar when I added shackle relocation brackets. If i remember right, i took out the second shortest and third shortest leaves and replaced them with the ones from a stock pack. This softened the ride a bit, and leveled things out. It looks like you may run into a problem with the shackle hitting the relocation bracket under compression though.

it looks like your shackle is about bottomed out against the relocater that might make for a noisy ride on bumpy roads and limit up travel

Yep, I was afraid to cut it until I got the shackle angle fine tuned. Ill be cutting off what I can this weekend.

My plan as of now is to do exactly what Lightfoot just suggested.

I remember reading on Pirate4x4 that if you take out a leaf, flip it upside down, and add it to the top of the leaf spring pack (still upside down), it can help fight axle wrap. Has anybody heard about that trick?

Back when I ran RC leafs I replaced the smallest leaf with a stock one. Helped quite a bit. I'd say it lowered it 3/4 or so and def made the leaf pack a little softer. With no overload leaf in the pack the axle wrap is very noticeable especially on steep hill climbs. Shortening the life of the leafs and your drive shaft.

I did this once. I removed a leaf to lower ride height. It was a mistake. The leaf packs wore out in no time once the leaf was removed. I'd sell those packs and buy more the right size before I removed a leaf again.

I have a similar issue, so I would like to know how this came out.:wave:

I pulled a leaf out (cant remember which one - probably second from the bottom)and replaced it with a stocker and the pack was too soft. With my shackle relocation brackets (cut to clear the shackle) and extended shackle the springs were so soft that the shackle kept kicking back and flattening out against the frame. So I put the leaf back in and the jeep sits perfectly now. I guess wheeling the rubicon a few times with that leaf pulled out took just enough arch out of the springs to level the jeep.

Back