• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

raising driveline for pinion angle

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
Here is where i'm at;
Sye with double cardan shaft,4* pinion shims...
My pinion was about 2* below ds now its more like 1* and im getting vibes during hard accel.I guess my leafs have sagged during the last year...

Now im kinda thinking outside the box about taking a piece of 1/8" steel plate and drilling four holes to match the tranny mount and putting it between the mount and crossmember.

I'm wondering how much this would change my ds angle and if there will be any drawbacks?I cant think of any and this would be way easier(and cheaper) than unbolting my rusty axle hardware to put smaller shims back there...seems like 1/8" would give me the extra degree or so i need to account for pinion rise during hard accel,cure my vibes and make my ass and pinion/tcase output bearing happier...

Has any one done this to fine tune their ds angle?Threads abound about dropping the driveline angle via tcase spacers but nothing about raising it....

Can you fab at all?

If you can, I would invest in a traction bar. Buy the kit from Ruffstuff, build a simple 2x2 crossmember for it, and you won't have a problem.

Yes I "can fab all" im no stranger to fab work on my jeep(homemade gas tank skid,rear bumper/tire swing,roof rack,and rock rails to name a few.)However if I'm going that far i would rather do a rear coil conversion/with adjustable arms for pinion angle

I don't think being 1-2 degrees off is going to affect that much. I would look for other sources such as a bad u joint or bent drive shaft.

Ujoints are new.....if driveshaft was bent vibes would be noticeable even under light acceleration....my vibes are only there during hard acceleration because the pinion is rising too far

i cant imagine that only 1/8" would solve vibes. i would figure out how many degrees that small amount would get you. and im thinking you would have to drop the cross member just to be able to get the small plate in there.

just seems easier to replace to shims to me....

Back