• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box adjustment? Problems? Solutions?

sheffeyva

NAXJA Forum User
I am having a problem with my steering when heading in a straight line down the road. It takes about I would say from about 12 to 1 or 12 to 11 o'clock until some input is felt through the wheels. I had someone turn the wheel for me so I could look at all the components moving and I found nothing but where the steering shaft connects right at the box I noticed the same thing about 20 degrees of rotation before there is any movement by the pitman arm. Is the steering box shot and I need a new one or is there some kind of adjustment to make up for that slack?

Oh and also to add the complete steering has been replaced with a new drag link and such. The steering box has about 100k on it. All TRE's have been replaced and all ball joints are brand new!

I rebuild and port a ton of steering gears each year for people. Rarely is the steering gear the problem. The test is to get under the vehicle with someone in the drivers seat. Have them rock the wheel from side to side until resistance is felt.

Start with the steering gear. From what you have said, you should be able to see the input shaft rotate. Put your hand on the pitman arm. If the pitman arm does not move when the input shaft moves, you have a steering gear. You should really not be able to notice any movement in the input shaft without a corresponding movement in the pitman arm.

Having ruled out the steering gear, watch but preferably put your hand across each and every joint while the rocking is performed. You should feel no slop in any joint or attachement point.

Watch for give in rubber bushings and movement. Watch for mounting bolts moving.

The most common failures I have seen are:

Track bar bracket moving
Egged out holes in track bar
Egged out holes in control arm mounts.
Loose steering gear mounting bolts
Broken steering gear spacer
Cracked frame rail where Steering Gear mounts.
Bad track bar bushings
Track bar bushing mounting bolt holes egged out.

Check your steering intermediate shaft. mine wore out and would hit the mechanical stops with a nice thunk before being able to move the wheels.

follow teh shaft up from the spline joint at the box to the next spline and you will see where it is worn when you watch that area while someone turns the wheel.

DON'T TRY TO ADJUST THE BOX!!! That is for setup only unless you know what your doing. I worked with someone that did that he ran into his nabores house. He tryed to turn the corner when the box locked up, then tried to stop on the wet grass and bang! Right into the house.

Check the u-joints on the shaft coupling the steering column to the steering box.

DON'T TRY TO ADJUST THE BOX!!! That is for setup only unless you know what your doing. I worked with someone that did that he ran into his nabores house. He tryed to turn the corner when the box locked up, then tried to stop on the wet grass and bang! Right into the house.
Yes I have read enough horror stories now after researching! Old man was right! It ended up being my lower control arms. Somehow the set screws for the RC Johnny Joints had backed off allowing the preload cam to back off almost all the way! Took it off and tightened it back down and reinstalled it! Steering now works as it should! Thanks a lot!

i adjusted mine and now my steering is sucky when the jeep is cold. i do not suggest doing it.

old man, i pmed you a little while ago about a steering box, never heard back, are you still doing it?

i adjusted mine and now my steering is sucky when the jeep is cold. i do not suggest doing it.

old man, i pmed you a little while ago about a steering box, never heard back, are you still doing it?
Yes, still doing them. PM me again.

I'm with Old man on most points, but not on one. I have had several steering gears go sloppy, and always the same way: side play in the pitman (output) shaft. This is worth checking out if you have a problem. You need to get someone up in the cab to move the wheel back and forth while you observe the pitman shaft. If there's play you'll see it move a little sideways before it starts to rotate. More an annoyance than a danger in its milder form, but this will give you sloppy steering, especially on center.

Back